New Secret Weapon: Anti-tank mortars

While playing the demo as the US at the crossroads, I experimented a little with the one mortar section that never seemed to be in command contact and put it out where it could direct fire. Much to my surprise, when the German armored cars showed up, the mortar knocked out 2 of the 4 with multiple hits on their rear deck and wheels. I was hoping to see one drop into the turret, but no luck...while the turrets on the real ones had heavy steel mesh anti-grenade screens on them, I think a mortar round exploding on contact with one would make mincemeat of the vehicle's interior and occupants.

Of course, the mortar crew paid the price - 2 WIA and 1 KIA but hey, they did the job!

Seems like the same issues are repeated from CMBO Demo, where the 60mm mortars were long range bazookas...

Now we have to look for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch and we will have it all.

Did you play the demo? The mortars are hardly all powerful. The OP was describing a luck shot, not a normal occurrence. I landed a couple of 60mm bombs right on the ATG in the tutorial and it was still alive and well (to my detriment) 2 minutes later.

I have to say that the 60mm mortar in the demo tutorial worked very well in the anti-personnel role, slaughtering Germans who were clustered behind the rock wall by the crossroads. Of course, they were pinned by MG fire and if they got up to run, they were chopped up, but the mortars finished them off to a man. I did not have much chance to try them on the AT gun, since the Sherman's 75's did it in from the hedgerow gap near the farmhouse. The AT gun never did much except temporarily damage a road wheel on the Sherman and it was still maneuvering afterwards.

I always thought the 60 mm was underrated by players of CMBO. I always took them every chance I could and used them to suppress or even destroy any squad or MG that was situated to hold up my advance. Seemed to work just fine. A lot of German squads just broke and ran for it after a couple turns of having one drops shells into their foxhole.

Michael

When my dad was in the "old Army" they had weekly contests for the 60mm mortarmen to see who could come closest to dropping a solid "teardrop" round into a drum or barrel set upright in the target area. This was all line of sight, of course, but since the winners usually got free beers at the enlisted mens club that night it might explain why so many mortar crews became uncannily accurate with the darn things.

I love the 60mm mortar. German AT guns are helpless against them. Role up the scout's just shy of the hedgerow/ bocage. Slow crawl the scouts into the hedge/ bocage and spot the AT gun. Sneak in the 60mm and direct fire until said AT gun is dead. Usually takes 10-12 rounds for the desired effect. Best part is you can't spot those little 60mm firing.

Pete