Demo no workie on my MacBook Pro

Does your machine have an X1600 card as well, Jim? Every Macbook Pro we've tested on has been fine except for those with X1600 cards - my development work on the port was done primarily on an MBP.

Yes, it does. Here's the text from System Profiler:

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-158

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.158

Displays:

DELL 2005FPW:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much Jim. If your machine is indeed hard locking (you need to turn it off and restart it after the game crashes) then you've definitely got the same problem Clark and our borrowed test machine do.

Please understand that at the end of the day the early X1600 was a limited and problem-plagued piece of hardware, and it *will*, in its 128MB configuration, have serious trouble with CM. We are doing everything we can to address any driver issues, however, and I hope to have this game at least playable for you by the time the first patch rolls out.

Understood, Phil. I really appreciate the effort. I was doing a little reading last night about the X1600 problem and it makes me want to smash someone at Apple and/or ATI over the skull with a large piece of aluminum and glass! Hopefully the patch will address my problem. If not, I guess I just won't be able to play until I get a new machine. I've been itching for a new iMac or Mac Pro anyway, so maybe this is a good excuse...

I'm sure you can't give a firm date, but when discussing a timeline for the first patch are we talking about days, weeks, or months?

Thanks again for your efforts.

• 1 month later...

I also have hard locking but with the full version of the game. My machine is an older iMac but with the 10.6.7 operating system. My iMac meets all the minimum specs except processor speed which is 2.16GHz not 2.2GHz.

The game opens and the senario/battle/etc loads okay but when I try hit 'OK' to start the action everything freezes and the machine requires a full re-start.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, we're wrapping up the 1.01 patch and I still haven't found a fix that actually *fixes* this locking problem for our testers. There are close to a dozen X1600-related fixes in 1.01, and for some of you these may have an effect, but they have not done so on our (admittedly limited) batch of X1600-equipped test machines.

There is some hope, especially with 10.6.8 and 10.7 on the table - there are numerous OpenGL fixes included in those releases. The patch together with the new Apple releases may resolve the locking issue on some systems.

So - please give the patch a try on your machines. If they work, fantastic - please let me know. If not, and this leaves you unable to play the game at all, refunds will be provided on request. I'm sorry that I couldn't solve this one. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I also have hard locking but with the full version of the game. My machine is an older iMac but with the 10.6.7 operating system. My iMac meets all the minimum specs except processor speed which is 2.16GHz not 2.2GHz.

The game opens and the senario/battle/etc loads okay but when I try hit 'OK' to start the action everything freezes and the machine requires a full re-start.

I am Running the same 2.16 GHz with 10.6.8

So it isn't the GHz that is stopping your machine from running CMBN

I started with 2Gb of Ram and it ran OK but now have 4GB

Check out the Tech Support Forum and if you dont find an answer submit a Helpdesk Ticket