What floor are they on?

This is another one of those great features from Cmx1 that would be great in any further CMSF patch, or any further CM builds. What I have noticed is many times I must move the camera around, zoom, rotate, count the number of floors in a high rise ect... to get this information Wouldn't it be much quicker to just find that info out in the GUI ala CMx1.? This would be especially useful for RTS play to give quicker unit status at a glance when camera views are a bit precarious in obtaining that info such as being viewed from a above, or far away.

In the design concept I have removed the words for experience levels such as “Veteran” as shown in the illustration, and replaced with a “V” in the box. I feel this enough to know what it is, and frees up that area for Floor/passenger status just as in CMx1.

My thoughts are to have a single color-coded letter designate to signify experience. Color code adds another level of quick association, and helps those with bad eyes make stuff out.

Red “C” = Conscript

Orange “G” = Green

Yellow “R” = Regular

White “V” = Veteran (thinking of colors, I think is better after making pic, you get the idea though.)

Green “E” “ Elite”

Blue “K” = Crack

I think CMSF has come along way, and has a good UI that has improved in situation awareness with adding things such as more unique icon I.E. Sniper, flickering casualty icon ect…. This one of those things along those lines that makes it all that much better.

Would you rather have to change camera views if you must to find out what floor on, and passenger status… OR would you rather just see that information in the GUI when the unit is selected ala Cmx1?

Just some feedback , and ideas to share with the community.

WHATFLOOR.jpg

Good idea. Whenever possible eliminate text for colors - humans process that much faster.

Maybe it's different for programmers tho'...

Yes, both colors and symbols are processed by the mind quicker than words. This is because one subconsciously goes through the vocalization of words when reading as a process of learning how to read as a child. Words can always be part of a flyover tip though in leaning what things are and serve too reinforce association.

Good idea. Whenever possible eliminate text for colors - humans process that much faster.

Maybe it's different for programmers tho'...

It's certainly different for colour-vision-deficient folk, like, oh about 10% of the constituency for these kind of games. Never eliminate shape. I'd be hard pressed to tell you the difference between green and yellow in most interfaces, blue and purple, similarly. Particularly on an element as small as what's in the box.

Having soft factors like 'Veteran' in text is fine. The info doesn't change and once you hit friction it's only rarely relevant, and even less frequently needed at high speed.

Yes shape/symbols too. In this case the shapes are the unique letters, reinforced by color.

At any rate even if the letters representing the experience level were just all white it still gets the info to the player to free up GUI space for the floor/passenger text that needs a good place to fit it in.

A flyover text could say "Crack" for the F who is too lazy to read manual, to figure what the letters stand for. To simplify the color scheme that ties into what the CM player already associates RED=BAD, GREEN=GOOD another alternative could be: Conscript, and Green could be grouped red because they both are in the “I suck category”. Regular, and Veteran white are your average Joes, and Elite-Crack are in the “Top Troops” category as green letters. White is ok letters alone, but colors are better and read by the mind without concentrating. When the player looks at the floor/passenger text something colored right next to it will register that it is there whether you want to see it or not. What is important is red or green, otherwise all are mid grade. I would appreciate a consideration for addition in any way it were done.