Achtung Panzer - Kharkov 1943, not bad!

Not tryiing to take the glory of CB:BN (I preordered the first day!), but this isn't a bad game at all. Last year was a hard year for my family, and I guess this one, as well as Panzaer Command Kharkov musta slipped under my radar. Can't comment on PCK (which looks interesting), but Achtung Panzer - Kharkov 1943 is pretty cool. Not specifically better than the CMX1 series, as they both have good and bad qualities, but if your looking for Eastern Front action, I would say that it's a very viable alternative to CMBB, which I love, BTW. And may last you well into the Eastern Front module for CM2. The graphics are leaps and bounds, as would be expected, above the original CMX1 engine, and it is pretty competetive even to CM:SF. Nowhere near the content of the CMX1 or CMX2 engines, but cool, nonetheless. I think the AI may be smarter than CMX1. MY personal gripe is: if you've been playing Combat Mission for the last 10 years like I have, the view & movement controls are, at the best, bewildering. I may get used to it, but I doubt it - CM:BN will be out soon! I only bought it ($19.99) as a distraction from checking here every 2 hours!

I was a big fan of AP:K and played it a lot. The AI was top-notch, and really challenging to play against if you play as Soviets. Infantry has a tough time in that game, though, and they mostly just get mowed down. But the immersion and atmospherics are great. Worth the learning curve to get the GUI figured out. It's really not that hard once you get used to it.

AP:K is a great game that deserves far more attention (I even did an AAR for it, and I haven't done that with a wargame in a long time :)). Operation Star, which is the expanded follow-up title, was released in Russia and was expected to arrive elsewhere early this year, IIRC. Paradox has said they will not be publishing it, however Graviteam did say it would be available on Steam. I do hope it finds its way to a larger market as some of the changes they made are supposed to be exactly what the doctor ordered.

I think while I await the demo for CMBN, I jump back into that game. :D

After doing some research the last few days, I think I'll be awainting Panzer Command: Ostfront (almost) as much as CM:BN. I think i played the demo of the first one, and was not that impressed when comparing it to CMX1. But the 3rd iteration looks to be quite impressive, maybe a "CMX 1.5" quality. :)

BTW, I knew I was sold when a T34 crew threw a track (extremely nice animation on that!). After a bit when, when they weren't under fire anymore, a crewman jumped out with a sledgehammer and started repairing the track! He was killed in a spray of blood , but Damn!

I'm closing this thread up. I'm sure there were no ill intentions, but as a rule we do not allow discussions of other company's games on our Forum except in the General Discussion area. There's a slight exception if there is some sort of direct comparison to a Battlefront game covered in a particular Forum.

Steve