Will Bagpipes make it into Cw module ?

Bagpipes? good god NO!

As a Northen Englishman who has often to listen to that noise pollution that some call 'stirring music' I must cast my vote in for the Nay! party.

Before you colonials step up to the plate to defend the cat stranglers, please note that I often have to put up with these 'objects' in the main street of my home town (often drowning out the sweet notes of the Northumbrian smallpipes), and to really add insult to injury, one of the batteries of the Territorial Army Arty Regt. I was a member for for 20 years was '204 bty - The Tyneside Scottish'.

And yes, they had a flaming pipe band.

So no thanks.

You realise now that given your heritage, service history and the words you have just spoken you are damned to Hell where you will be Beelzebub's Drum Major for eternity ?

Bagpipes? good god NO!

As a Northen Englishman who has often to listen to that noise pollution that some call 'stirring music' I must cast my vote in for the Nay! party.

Before you colonials step up to the plate to defend the cat stranglers, please note that I often have to put up with these 'objects' in the main street of my home town (often drowning out the sweet notes of the Northumbrian smallpipes), and to really add insult to injury, one of the batteries of the Territorial Army Arty Regt. I was a member for for 20 years was '204 bty - The Tyneside Scottish'.

And yes, they had a flaming pipe band.

So no thanks.

Where abouts in Tyneside?

There is an urban Myth about WW1 when, as the barrage ends and stillness falls over the allied trenches, Scots are waiting for the order to go over the top.

Suddenly a lone piper beings to play.

At that the sergeant looks along the ranks and says;

"Well lads, we can go over the top, or stay here and listen to the Pipes... FIX BAYONETS"

Peter.

Magpie Oz

You realise now that given your heritage, service history and the words you have just spoken you are damned to Hell where you will be Beelzebub's Drum Major for eternity ?

Heh heh, well, given my heritage is Northern English, extreme irritation with bagpipes is a gene passed down from Father to Son. Although with my such extensive exposure to the devilish instruments over the years, I have developed a certain resistance, I have even developed a fondness for ‘Black Bear’ – not on music grounds I hasten to add, mainly because if the Cat Stranglers were blatting out BB it meant that the parade or whatever was finishing and it was time to knock off whatever ceremonial silliness we were enduring and schlepped off for our Tea (always the best meal of the day when we were in Camp or Barracks).

Nolltyboy

Where abouts in Tyneside?

I’m not breaking any SecOps here, as its got a big red and white sign “TA Centre’ pointing at it and it’s address freely given on the internet, so 204 Bty Drill Hall is currently located at Kingston Park, a trading estate in the north of Newcastle. Google 204 bty – loads of info available

Not only do they have the gall to allow a pipe band to squawk on interminably, they also wear that brown hat with the red hackle (looks like a red budgie has kamikazed into a pork pie) and the SNCO’s and Ruperts used to wear Tartan Trews as Barracks Dress, disgraceful behaviour for English Sergeants of Artillery! (although understandable for h’officers.)

Nolltyboy

I’m not breaking any SecOps here, as its got a big red and white sign “TA Centre’ pointing at it and it’s address freely given on the internet, so 204 Bty Drill Hall is currently located at Kingston Park, a trading estate in the north of Newcastle. Google 204 bty – loads of info available

Not only do they have the gall to allow a pipe band to squawk on interminably, they also wear that brown hat with the red hackle (looks like a red budgie has kamikazed into a pork pie) and the SNCO’s and Ruperts used to wear Tartan Trews as Barracks Dress, disgraceful behaviour for English Sergeants of Artillery! (although understandable for h’officers.)

Ahh yes thats a bit silly on my part. One of my best friends from uni at the minute is a Blyth lass. I suffer the Anti Tartan-Kilt-bagpipes-anything scottish slant on a regular basis, not that i should talk as my parents are from the 'Boro!!

Blyth?

That's where my old battery was based.

Now I'm not suggesting that your friend is anything other than a wonderful person, but South East Northumberland, especially the old pit villages, produce a very strange breed of people. If you want a 'life experience' that's probably a lot more educational than Swimming With Dolphins or Seeing The Winter Solstice Sun Rise at Stonehenge (etc etc) see if you can arrange a friday night 'oot on the lash' with your mate in Blyth. Probably a bit more dangerous, but if your looking forward to the simulated combat in CM:BN, why not experience the 'real thing' - Skirmish in extended order in the Blyth and Tyne or a fighting retreat from the Oddfellows Arms.

Of couser if your folk are Smoggies, they'll be able to give plenty of similar tales from their neck of the woods.

"I love the smell of White Lightening Cider in the morning... The smell, you know that cider smell... Smells like ... victory"