run w/o cd

The current CDV "CM Anthology" which has all three CM's can run without the CD (except for a patched 1.03 CMAK).

However you probably want to run without a CD with your current version. It is possible, but the moderaters don't appreciate discussion of this topic since it can assist people in software piracy.

What you need is a piece of software that acts as a 'CD Emulator' or virtual CD drive. Programs such as Alcohol Software's Alcohol 52% or 120% among others will probably work.

Discussing how to play the game without the CD helps those who aren't already knowledgeable about such things to pirate the game. To be honest most people who are into "demo'ing" games are probably already quite knowledgeable about such things, but we don't want to make it any easier for everyone.

I'm sure most requests on this forum are from legitimate owners, but not all of them are.

By the way I thought a CD/DVD with an area that was Read/Writable would allow game creators to use the r/w functions of the drive to protect their intelectual property. If you can write to that (r/w)sector then you are OK if you can't then it is a CD-r. Then you would try to write to the normal area if you could then it must be a copy burned to a CD-r/w.

Just a thought.

If CM shows up on pirate's channels I am sure they have the no-CD patch already applied.

In a way this CD requirement is bound only to hit those who bought the game CD.

I never understood why BFC didn't do it like id software who drop the copy protection from whatever the last official patch for a game is. For CM it is the other way round in the case of the anthology - buy the game => no CD requirement, install BFC patch on top => ups, CD required. All the while no-CD patches are downloadable elsewhere.

I think only CMBO had an option for a 'partial install'. That made for a requirement of less disk space, but made loadup of the game slower since files had to be read from the CD. Copy protection requiring the CD was never 'done away with' via a 'full install'. I don't think that CMBB had a partial install as an option.

The Direct-to-Drive download I believe also dispenses with the CD copy protection method, though Direct-to-Drive is one of the more expensive copies of CM available.

Everyone complains about copy protection. Starforce is one of the more annoying forms out there, so I consider BFC's scheme of a CD in the drive much more acceptable. Yes, copy protection probably annoys legitimate users more than it may prevent piracy, since most hackers tend to make a crack eventually. This whole line of arguing and complaining can go on ad nauseam.

The CM Anthology came out after the 1.03 CMAK patch. Since CDV never bothered to customize the patch themselves, BFC just accomodated their CD's in the copy protection routines. If they accomodated the CM Anthology's lack of copy protection it would leave no copy protection for any version of CMAK, which I'm sure would be fine with all of the legitimate players.

• 2 weeks later...