The Silence Is Driving Me Nuts, Please Help Me !!!

I love your enthusiasm noob, others will come on board in due time. In the interim, don't let the "experts" get you down... I may even be able to rustle up a couple of players once the game is released (a side benefit of having a few pbem partners).

That would be great, thanks :)

I had a similar same idea last night and re wrote the playing method, however my method differs in that the players get to decide the moves by drawing arrows and or writing orders on screenshots of the operational game map i will be using, then i just play out the turn as a two player hot seat game following their orders.

Also if players get campaign fatigue im hoping others will take their place, and as for me i live for this game and its been an ambition, since i ran a similar one on a much smaller scale, to expand the scale and modify the rules based on previous experience, so once CMBN was announced i saw a golden opportunity to realize that ambition.

Thanks for the post :)

It might be worth your time to look at the TCS game series for some ideas. Do a search on tcs gamers and you should find a link to the archive. In there is a copy of the 4.0 series rules. They have their own concepts on how to account for command cycles and morale. The key issue for you is your map. If you have that (even if it is hand drawn) you can use it to create CMBN maps. The players only need the Operational map to draw up plans and you use that to create the individual battles. Just a thought that may allow you to do this without too much overhead on the operational layer and not be limited by the scale of either maps or OoB of any single game out there.

I didn't read entire thread, sorry for any repeats.

I thought about giving your operational campaign a try, but I sure as hell don't want my first CMBN game a battle for my whole Battalion. Give everyone few months or so to become more familiar with the game.

I did look at your web site. Nice start. Keep refining the rules make sure they are air tight to prevent any disputes.

And like some one said a previous operational game was the Onion Wars. Perhaps you could talk to the organizers there to know what pit falls and triumphs to expect.

If in the end you don't get enough players, you could always assign a full Regiment to a player with the restrictions of committing a single battalion to a battle at a time.

I didn't read entire thread, sorry for any repeats.

I thought about giving your operational campaign a try, but I sure as hell don't want my first CMBN game a battle for my whole Battalion. Give everyone few months or so to become more familiar with the game.

I did look at your web site. Nice start. Keep refining the rules make sure they are air tight to prevent any disputes.

And like some one said a previous operational game was the Onion Wars. Perhaps you could talk to the organizers there to know what pit falls and triumphs to expect.

If in the end you don't get enough players, you could always assign a full Regiment to a player with the restrictions of committing a single battalion to a battle at a time.

Thanks for looking at the site and the compliment, i am re writing on a daily basis so in two or three months it should be watertight, especially with the helpfull responses and suggestions i am recieving, i once ran a similar operation with a few friends on CMAK and i learnt a lot from that but it wasn't on the scale of this present endevour, however i have been mulling this over for a long time and i'm confident that it will work.

I have two players signed up at the moment and expect more once CMBN has been digested by the community, and im sure it will work with at least four players per side so six more and its viable :)

It might be worth your time to look at the TCS game series for some ideas. Do a search on tcs gamers and you should find a link to the archive. In there is a copy of the 4.0 series rules. They have their own concepts on how to account for command cycles and morale. The key issue for you is your map. If you have that (even if it is hand drawn) you can use it to create CMBN maps. The players only need the Operational map to draw up plans and you use that to create the individual battles. Just a thought that may allow you to do this without too much overhead on the operational layer and not be limited by the scale of either maps or OoB of any single game out there.

Im using John Tillers Normandy 44 game for the strategic layer so i have plenty of maps and i have posted up screenshots of zoom in sector maps of the operational area for players to download and draw their movement orders on and i also plan on using whatever maps that come with CMBN that are the most compatible to the terrain profile of the areas contested so im ok in that department.

Also the beauty of the D Day landings is that the Allied forces come on in packets so there will not be vast armies to manage from the start, and if there is a lot of combat the arriving units will proabably be making up losses or replacing fought units on the front line which keeps tracking to a minimum.

Noob - I have been around since 2001 and in that time I have seen several campaign proposals burst apart, and some actually start and die, and I think of very few which have actually had legs. Onion Wars being the only one still running and which I was briefly in.

From my perspective you have Tillers map which is a bonus. However you are only a 116 poster in seven years here which does not show much obvious commitment to CM. This is a minus.

The reasons most campaigns breakdown are RL & battle fatigue. With three prime positions in your plan what chances two will fall by the wayside. I did read your proposal but with I think 35 battles and a convoluted turn structure that seems bad. The good news is you have a genuine target to aim for in ST Lo and presumably a historic time line as a guide, possible cut-off point.

However whilst CM:bn is new all wise people will want to get the game system under their belt before embarking on something where they are playing for a team - which makes for added pressure not to screw up.

I think that running campaigns is mostly attractive when handled within a club where resource and club pride make it a safer bet that it will actually go the distance. And you have a pool of reinforcements : )

Don't take it personally - you may ,for all I know, have a history of running Napoleonic campaigns which would change the situation considerably : )

Actually, I have been "around" a similar period of time thou not active since the CMBB days. There was a VERY successful meta-campaign (Combat Mission Meta Campaign-- CMMC) back in the early 2000's whereby the strategic layer was developed from scratch and run by several "GameMasters." It was perhaps the most fun I've had playing the CM series of games....

I think your meta-campaign idea will take off within months of CMBN being released. It will, however, based at least on my experience with CMMC, take a LOT of work on your part to keep it running. CMMC exhausted many a game master for the several months it ran.

Actually, I have been "around" a similar period of time thou not active since the CMBB days. There was a VERY successful meta-campaign (Combat Mission Meta Campaign-- CMMC) back in the early 2000's whereby the strategic layer was developed from scratch and run by several "GameMasters." It was perhaps the most fun I've had playing the CM series of games....

I think your meta-campaign idea will take off within months of CMBN being released. It will, however, based at least on my experience with CMMC, take a LOT of work on your part to keep it running. CMMC exhausted many a game master for the several months it ran.

I had pre-ordered CMBO and played solitaire until seeing CMMC and was going to join, but the detail involved scared me away! But I ended up at We Band of Brothers, and I think that was a better fit for me- something like CMMC takes a lot of commitment!

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

I am familiar with CMMC and was going to participate in the CMBB operation they were running at the time but it didnt take long to realise that it was as much if not more a simulator of actually being in an army as it was a way of playing CM at an operational level which was very impressive but essentially for purists only so i declined.

However it got me thinking that there must be a simpler way of doing an operation for CM that wouldnt involve doing the vast a mount of paperwork involved in CMMC ( intelligence gathering and processing in CMMC was a game in itself ) and would be user friendly for the average CM player so when CMBN was announced i started to put my thinking cap on and formulate a set of rules that any one could use and with the adoption of the John Tiller game as the operational map, unit marker and LOS tool i felt i had the answer.

So the operation i plan to run will be nothing like CMMC and will require a lot less work on behalf of all involved :)

I had pre-ordered CMBO and played solitaire until seeing CMMC and was going to join, but the detail involved scared me away! But I ended up at We Band of Brothers, and I think that was a better fit for me- something like CMMC takes a lot of commitment!

The operation i plan to run will be nothing like CMMC as i am familiar with it and its complexity was one of the reasons that inspired me to create a simpler method for the average player to be able to play CM at an operational level, however things went on hold once CMC was announced but the idea resurfaced again once that project was aborted.

@noob...your going to have to wait for people to get the game and play a round for abit before they start thinking about your campaign...patience my friend...

Thats true, but by posting this thread i have gotten lots of feedback and some usefull suggestions unlike the first thread about the project i posted :)

The operation i plan to run will be nothing like CMMC as i am familiar with it and its complexity was one of the reasons that inspired me to create a simpler method for the average player to be able to play CM at an operational level, however things went on hold once CMC was announced but the idea resurfaced again once that project was aborted.

Definitely a good idea! You don't want to start a project that would quickly go from a hobby project you're excited about to a non-paying full time job that burns away your soul!

:D