AI use of RPG

I just played a couple of Quick Battles, and I noticed that the AI uses its RPG's from a long distance, when the chances to hit are low.

So I would show up with my vehicles at a rather long distance, than wait until they had spend their RPG's, or I had destroyed the shooters, without great risk.

When those AT teams would hold their fire a little longer, this 'cheap' tactic would not work.

Erik, I have seen the same in CM:SF within Quick Battles. Also when I was developing and playtesting a scenario the RPG's seem to engage at long range. I ended up making a group for the RPG's on map and set them for Ambush at 600m... This seemed to work really well and changed the whole outlook on the scenario... I just wish there were more Groups for developing AI plans as Recoiless and ATGM's have specific kill ranges (where their hit odds go way up), thus 37.5% of your programmable groups could be spent on the settings of these three weapons, throw in a couple of multiple placement IED's and poof... no more groups for for your troops, etc.

I am not sure what you can do about this in a QB though.

Erik, I have seen the same in CM:SF within Quick Battles. Also when I was developing and playtesting a scenario the RPG's seem to engage at long range. I ended up making a group for the RPG's on map and set them for Ambush at 600m... This seemed to work really well and changed the whole outlook on the scenario... I just wish there were more Groups for developing AI plans as Recoiless and ATGM's have specific kill ranges (where their hit odds go way up), thus 37.5% of your programmable groups could be spent on the settings of these three weapons, throw in a couple of multiple placement IED's and poof... no more groups for for your troops, etc.

I am not sure what you can do about this in a QB though.

Perhaps the tactical AI could use an adjustment?

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Ross Kemp in Afghanistan at Discovery Channel I almost get the impression the Taliban uses RPG's more or less like mortars. They use them on anything that moves. But I must say I've also been wondering about the accuracy of RPG's, fired from long distances in CMA. I don't mind though, since it balances the game in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Deadly accurate sniper RPGs for cmsf balancing was really annoying. I don't want balanced, I want realistic. Impossible to do a thunder run or Blackhawks down senario because of this. I enjoyed cmsf / cma, but going back to WWII may really suit the engine well. The sides seem more technologically even in the WWII setting.