Constant Crash during NATO Canadian Campaign

Getting a strange, first time crash ever with SMSF. (Played since release, own base, Marines and NATO.) Because I've never had a crash before and it takes place only because of certain parameters, I do not think it's my hardware, but have listed it below. I think it may have something to do with a corruption because of saves, I'll explain below:

I am playing Canadian Campaign, I think, the the Charity scenaria (Sorry writing at work, its the one with the WMD facility on the hill.). The game was running fine (at best, best and all other settings for best graphics), , but I started doing a bunch of saves experimenting with smoke trying to get my vehicles past the ATGM's on the hill. At one particular point (I think around 1.11) the game started to crash when calculating the orders, sometimes with "CMSF has run out of memory", more often with "CMSF has a problem and needs to close." Since I couldn't get past this point to continue, I spent a lot of time trying to eliminate whatever was causing the problem, I closed all other background programs (skype, torrents etc.), changed the game settings for speed, turned off smoke graphics - still had the crash.

Since the game had been running without a hiccup until I had restarted the save a few times, I went back a few turns and tried replaying, but no luck, I had no crash right up until I get to the same point in my advance note: not time but specific point in terms of unit orders: I have a lot of smoke (two 155's and one three-60mm team) , two vehicles ordered to deployed smoke next turn, one inf plattoon advancing up a ditch, another clearing the town, tank platoon ordered to cross trench at a spefic point screened from ATGMsl by smoke. Not much right? but it crashes as soon as it tries to calculates orders - the Bar screen freezes without any movement in bar, it crunches for awhile with the "thinking mouse icon" and eventually closes. After experimenting by going back and replaying was able to make the game continue but only if I plotted NO MOVES, inf had been moving and working fine, so it seems to be linked to the vehicle moves, but the game has never had a problem with this before. Thinking the game save file might be corrupted, I closed and deleted all save files except for an earlier point with no problems, game played until I hit this series of moves. I have no save before the smoke screen so couldn't test if it contributed, but did have smoke being laid and deployed with no crash as long as nothing moved..

Since the game runs fine up to this point and always has in the past, I think that somehow I've created the perfect combination of factors (map, smoke, orders) to crash the game on my system. The confounding thing is I can't slow it down enought to not to crash, but I shouldn't have to go from best to "not fast enough to not crash" in one turn. I don't think that's it.

ANY IDEAS? Thanks, Ray

My system is:

HP Computer

Windows 7 premium 64 bit

AMD athlon X4 quad core 2.6 ghz, 2mb up to 4000 mt/s bus

6gb ddr3-1066mhz SDRAM (3 DIMMS)

1 GB Saphire Radeon hd 5670 (recently installed a few weeks ago but game has been working fine.)

I have the most recent version of CMSF for NATO, 1.32? (the one where the Germans don't have panzerfausts, so I am running our of scenarios to play!) I've played Germans and TF Thunder campaigns, also varous single battles under this version with no problems.

It seems every-so-often people are able to get the game to crash, typically due to "out of memory" problems. I'm not sure what element could be causing that, but it is definitely something within the scenario. I don't know what specific chunk of data or routine is 'going off the deep end', but there is definitely something happening.

I don't think that there is any measure you could take to continue this game at this point as far as I know. You could .zip or .rar the file and post it on a file sharing site and provide the link here. We could then direct Charles or Philip to this file when they return to working on the last CMSF patch. This is probably something anyone who is running into crash should do. With these resources the scenarios could be run through debug versions of the game and hopefully pin-point what is causing the crashes.

The only problem with 'sending' the file is that often game saves are too large for many email systems to handle as email attachements. That's where the 'file sharing website' comes into play.

I'm not sure what to recommend since I haven't been a big user of such sites myself. There are a number out there that provide the service for free (though I don't know how long access is granted for downloading the files).

If you're already using the 11.3 Catalysts, then I don't think another version will fix this issue. It MIGHT be worth a try to go to an older driver, but I'm not sure how much, if any, difference it may make. You can probably go back to Catalyst 10.3 or 10.4 and later if you want to experiment.

Most of the time driver issues result in consistent problems (for all sorts of scenarios). If only this scenario is crashing on you, then it would seem that something in the scenario (data-wise) may be responsible for the crashes. Occasionally it might be possible that the video driver is the culprit.

To truly examine this issue we would probably have to run it on another system. If it crashed on a different system, then it is likely some sort of data error within the game save. This would not necessarily be corruption of the data, but some data that is causing an improper condition within the game.

If you want to post this up on some sort of web-storage site so that we can access it, we can pull it into our system and reference it later during the last patch for CMSF.