I am pretty sure it works, but keep in mind that it only applies to defense bonus, not to entrenchment. So if a unit receives entrenchment from a trench it will still be more difficult to kill him than if he would be standing in the same type of square without a trench.

You know I have to admit that with the recent changes regarding trenches I wanted to do a double check and I did find one issue and perhaps this is the one you've noticed.

Trenches on resources do provide maximum defensive bonuses regardless of facing and this is now corrected on my end... but it should be fine in all other cases.

One other thing I noticed with this is that the defensive bonus information is not showing up properly for the estimated combat odds display and I've corrected this as well.

I'd say it is more probably for aesthetic reasons to use a 1 sided trench, i.e. depending on how you would like the trench lines to flow but since most players just automatically go to 2 sided trenches it has been suggested that this become the default and we have changed it to this for the first patch.