Nato Module Stopped Working

Haven't played for a couple weeks, but today, I find my NATO scenarios all greyed out as if NATO is not installed. (NATO used to work fine.)

Before I get into the fun of reinstalling and relicensing, is there a check list I could follow to troubleshoot?

Thanks...

When you launch CMSF do you see the NATO Leopard tank icon in the lower left hand corner of the main screen. That would indicate that the NATO executable has loaded up. If it is not there, then that would be a good reason why the NATO scenarios are greyed-out.

Have you applied the 1.31 patch recently ? If so, you may want to re-apply it and make sure to select all of the modules that you have installed. If you don't select all of the modules you have installed, then an executable will be installed that doesn't support that particular module.

There is no NATO icon on the main screen. So, it is not loading.

However, I have v1.31 but that patch was installed when it was first available.

Do you still recommend simply reinstalling the 1.31 patch as the first step? Anything else I should check first?

And why did AVG suddenly decide to do this after months of trouble free use?

This is a question you'll have to ask AVG :)

This usually happens when you have "heuristic" scanning enabled (which I think it is by default). "Heuristic" scanning means that AVG is not only using its database of known virus definitions, but additionally it is "guessing" at what unknown viruses *could* be. This can be useful, but it also increases the risk of "false positives" tremendously, especially for encrypted software (like our games, which are encrypted to prevent hacking). You can turn off "heuristic scanning" or set an exception for the specific files/folders in AVG from what I recall.

I don't know how to remove a file from the quarantine, sorry. I'm sure AVG has a support page or manual for that.

Martin

PS. It's probably not a good idea to have heuristic scanning ON without notifications enabled (so you at least know what AVG is doing). It's one thing to try to protect your PC from infections, but it should be doing this transparently, at least.

The 'HCG.EXE' file is not associated with any Battlefront games. The directory path you gave for the file (which is where I assume AVG pulled it from) shows that it is a possibly a download of some sort and that quarantining it may have been the appropriate response. Few websites should be downloading executable files as part of the operation of a website.

I would suggest keeping the file in quarantine if you do not know what it belongs to. I believe that AVG can scan the quarantine files again to double check what it believes that it may have found wrong with the file. There should be some sort of report on what it believes the file is infected with. If the result is NOT heuristics-based, then then is a strong chance that the file is infected or a piece of malware.