If you're looking for a WW2 game...

My brother is much more a WW2 gamer than a WW1 gamer.

Is he better off getting SC2/WAW/PDE, or is this engine so much better that he'd have a better experience playing the eventual WW2 scenario is this engine?

Also, when are the first patch and WW2 scenario expected to arrive?

I can't answer whether he should wait for the WW2 scenario as I'd have to play it first, but if you are going for one of the other games you'd probably be best of buying SC2: Global Conflict, even if you are not into the war in Asia. It is the latest into the series and there are some pretty big improvements in Global Conflict that I don't think you'd want to play the game without. Most notably, the improvement that high technology units deal less damage to other high technology units, so that your units don't die instantly late game.

There already is a WW2 scenario for the WWI game... mine.

Brute Force 1939: 8 major powers.

Its been around and modified since PDE. AI on both sides. I recommend playing with AI +.5 or +1 experience for a nice challenge in which you can lose the game.

Its tested and works PvsAI or PvP.

Its whole theatre with 40m per hex europe and 80m per hex pacific. Covers europe, pacific, italian east africa with one linked map. Easy to play not tedious.