Captured French Tanks

Yep the zookas should work great against the Frenchy's and hopefully against the rear or flanks of the IV's and V's.

Does anyone know if rifle grenades will be used by the US troops?

Yes, US troops used rifle grenades in WW2. Especially through 44. I saw a clip from "Greatest Tank Battles" where a Panther crew member was taking about his tank getting imobilized and the Americans hitting it 20-30 times with rifle gernades before the fuel tank finally caught fire and they bailed out.

A pretty good (modern) clip of the M7 Grenade launcher and how it works:

My synopsis: M203 it ain't. Looks pretty unwieldy, and since you have to load the rifle with blanks to fire it, there's some conversion time. I've read anecdotes suggesting that GIs assigned to carry & fire rifle grenades would carry two rifles -- one set up to fire grenades, and the other set up to fire bullets. Looks like ranging is pretty much a dead reckoning thing. But I've also read accounts that soldiers who practiced with it regularly could get pretty accurate.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect GIs to run around popping off RGs in CMBN the way they do in CMSF. But it can certainly throw the grenade a heck of a lot farther than you can by hand, and I'd expect it was pretty useful in certain situations. Among other uses, I've read a lot of accounts of them being used in urban situations to fire grenades into upper floor windows of buildings, which is difficult to do by an ordinary hand toss.

I suspect "the Roach" had his WWII counterparts though, who were artistes at making their rifle grenades go right where they were needed. Maybe not as early as Normandy though, unless a few grizzled Italy vets were there.

And another thread confirmed there will be underbelly shots, so, yeah, zooks will be useful. Nice little bunker busters too.

Yep; there were a number of other U.S. divisions that saw at least some action in NA and/or Italy that were in Normandy as well. The 82nd and the 1st were just the two U.S. divisions that came to mind right off the top of my head that were heavily engaged in NA, Sicily, Italy and Normandy.

Long and short of it is: If you're looking to justify a few Crack GIs in Normandy with lots of combat experience, and the skill to do things like drop a rifle grenade into a pickle barrel at 100 yards, the precedent is there.

Back to the original subject: Personally, the reason I find combats with relatively weak tanks so fun is that it generally requires much closer infantry-tank cooperation to get anything done when you don't have "Big HE" to throw around. It's very satisfying to succeed an assault with only 37mm HE and coax MGs in support. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to blow up anything on the map with a Tiger, but it's a nice change of pace to play with the "JV squad" occasionally.

The 82nd and the 1st were just the two U.S. divisions that came to mind right off the top of my head that were heavily engaged in NA, Sicily, Italy and Normandy.

Understood. Except IIRC the 1st. shipped out for England after Sicily. The 82nd. (or at least part of it) dropped into the Salerno beachhead though, so they hit all the high spots.

Michael