CMSF2 Request

I know the ship has sailed on any more CMSF changes but there is one change at least that I would like to see made for CMSF2.

Please for the love of all thats good right in the world. Change the default behavior for dismounts to acquire the Jav and launcher. I can't tell you how many times I have dismounted a squad and left their track in overwatch only to realize several turns later that they have no way to take out that T72 or BMP that just showed up.

Shouldn't this be SOP for most all mechanized units? If you have the asset, take it with you when you dismount. I shouldn't have to remind every squad to do this especially when playing RT as this just adds to the micromanagement monster.

So how bout it BF can we get this for CMSF2? Ok, thanks for listening and keep up the good work. You can tell how really good this game is because this is the only thing I have to complain about ;)

Would be good, however, it would have to depend on what your mission (for the dismounts) is, as doing MOUT, or assaulting a building, it would get in the way, be too heavy, etc. Because of this, until they can make the game read our minds/intentions...my guess is they would have a lot of people complaining on the other side of it as well.

Exactly!

In RL the orders for the squad (depending on its job) would have been to take the CLP and missiles with them. Or the Squad leader would tell someone “grab that” before they went.

Unfortunately that flexibility isn’t built in, so its either “Always take it with you” and possibly not need but always be fatigued, or “player decides” and if you forget well sorry.

Hey Rock, got to say, I disagree on this one. I really don't want to take the Jav and three missiles with every squad. In fact I get some small perverse pleasure in weighing up which squads/ platoons to load up with them first off. And that adds to the strategy from the opsit from the briefing

Maybe the decision was because it's not SOP to take it every time squads dismount.

That said, if it helped you Real Time clickers then I wouldn't mind it being automated the other way with players like me needed to unload from some squads

What troubles me is that when designing scenarios I can't give anti-tank weapons to dismounted infantry . If they don't start the scenario in their vehicles, and especially if the scenario doesn't include their vehicles, then no anti-tank weapons at all.

I know it's more common for scenarios to have NATO forces as the attackers, and to start the game mounted, but it bothers me that the editor does not permit me to properly design scenarios where NATO troops are on the defensive, or would otherwise start the game dismounted (such as in difficult terrain).

I would like to be able to have troops "acquire" weapons when placing them in the editor. (The vehicles could be deleted later if desired by the scenario designer).

Shouldn't this be SOP for most all mechanized units? If you have the asset, take it with you when you dismount.

By this logic they should take everything else too....they'll be quit bulky and slow wouldn't you say?

If it's needed- it's taken, if not- it's left behind.

But that is just the opposite of what the situation is now, so why change?

If your plan depends on it just remember to tell the guys to acquire it.

Well, in a current PBEM I acquired a couple of javelins in a MOUT situation to level some buildings, but now I am too close and I have to assault carrying those things, which is clumsy.

It is no big issue, just think that being able to put them back would be the ideal situation. A perfect job for Battlefront's 5th programmer.

Hey Rock, got to say, I disagree on this one. I really don't want to take the Jav and three missiles with every squad.

You wouldn't have to take all 3 missiles, just the launcher and one would suit me. Of course that's the problem with SOP because everyone has a different way of doing things.

From my time as an 11B back in the 80's our unit SOP was to always dismount with the dragon. Of course the OPORD could change that for any mission but there would be a mighty ticked off CO to deal with if a squad couldn't engage targets because the Dragon was in the track. Now Jav is a much more versatile weapon because it can be used against pretty much any hard target, not just armor. So I would think taking it would make more sense in most situations.

Perhaps some kind of option screen (SOP menu) at the beginning of each mission to handle situations like this. Could be a menu on the mission briefing page.

Oh well, just a thought ... at ease carry on.

If only you could put it back.

Well I agree this would be nice as well. Seems to me that one way to handle this within the UI is to change the list that displays when you press the acquire button. Currently the list is a simple pick list. Changing the list to a pick list with a check box beside each item would allow you to either drop or acquire each item.

If the box is checked next to the item then the unit is already carrying it. Un-checking the box drops the item and checking the box picks it up.