Are these in too?

I could run a test with CMSF as you have advised people to do on many occasions :) And I do intend to give it a go. Whether such a test would be relevant to CM:BN, however, is entirely unclear to me.

Anyway, I can envisage "local" rules being required to avoid exploitation of this feature.

Well because we aren’t allowed to tell you regarding CM:BN, running your own test in CM:SF and extrapolating is your best way forward. :)

To quote Francis Urquhart:

“You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.“

However just like some things in CMAK were similar to but different from CBMO because of the passing of time, implementation of changes, better computing power the same applies in the evolution of:

CM:SF -> CM:A -> CM:BN

Apparently, the Tac-AI programming to have realistic own side shot blocking is a rather steep hill to climb.

Yes, exactly. Originally we had the TacAI treat vehicles, both dead and alive, the same way. Specifically that friendly fire was never blocked, enemy fire was always blocked. The problem with this is there was a gamey exploitation where you could hide behind one of your knocked out vehicles and freely engage the enemy while they could not freely engage you (unless the rounds went through or around the dead vehicle). So we had two choices:

1. Block enemy shots against live vehicles

2. Do not block shots for live or dead vehicles

Overall #1 is the better way to go, so that's what we implemented.

The problem here is, as Dan/California correctly stated, is the amount of freedom of action the TacAI would need in order to successfully shoot around friendly units is massive and cascading. We could spend months programming the best logic possible and players would ask us to remove it immediately. That's how much confidence we have in our ability to fix this problem.

It's not really a technical problem so much as it is yanking control away from the player and potentially exposing the unit to a worse situation or disrupt a larger plan for something unimportant.

Best to leave it as it is :D

Steve

I haven't read all the replies however when I want to gauge LOS at a point I place a move order to the action spot the start a target order from that spot. This provides a somewhat decent reading of what to expect.

Sounds like a good way to approximate sight, but it sure is nice in TOP to be able to actually know from a spot what your LOS is with one quick look.

scottie,

units cannot shoot through any dead vehicles, friendly or enemy. they can shoot over and under them, beside them etc. But if the projectile's path intersects a dead vehicle, it will hit that vehicle.

On the other hand, units can shoot through friendly live vehicles. Units cannot shoot through enemy live vehicles, they hit them instead :D.

scottie,

units cannot shoot through any dead vehicles, friendly or enemy. they can shoot over and under them, beside them etc. But if the projectile's path intersects a dead vehicle, it will hit that vehicle.

On the other hand, units can shoot through friendly live vehicles. Units cannot shoot through enemy live vehicles, they hit them instead :D.

Thank you for the response , was a tad confused.