Shooting @ VBIEDs

Euri

I have noticed that one is not allowed to shoot on a seemingly destroyed vehicle to eliminated the chance that it is a VBIED. The engine takes the order but then cancels it. This is a good feature in general because the AI stops further firing when a unit or a structure is destroyed, saving ammunition and reducing ... noise pollution.

I wonder if however an exception could be scripted for VBIEDs in the spirit of IF DEAD TARGET IS NOT VBIED THEN CEASE FIRE.

Your thoughts?

Not gamey at all. Couple of Marine anecdotes from Ramadi:

I had also noticed that there was a car parked about 50 meters to my front with it’s trunk open. Finding this rather odd, I pumped a burst into it and one of the tracers set the fuel tank on fire. Before I knew it, I was down to less than 300 rounds of ammo having begun the engagement with over 1200. Taking a quick break, I turned to the nearest Marine on the ground and yelled, “Get me more ammo, NOW!” As it turned out, I didn’t immediately need the ammunition. The insurgents were using the car I had lit up as some kind of ammo dump. The rockets, explosives and other munitions started cooking off and I told my driver to get the hell out of there. We pulled back around the corner of a building and waited for the blazing, exploding car to die down....

....The QRF formed up in a defensive formation and stopped all traffic until the second VBIED could be dealt with. Two Marines attempted to blow it up with the Mk-19 (40mm automatic grenade launcher) with no success.... EOD was contacted to deal with the second [suspected] VBIED, but they told us that they couldn’t respond for one reason or another. Fortunately, Weapons Company showed up with Javelins. A Javelin Missile is an Anti-Tank Weapon that is capable of destroying a main battle tank. The Javelin Gunner took aim and launched his missile at the parked car. The force of the explosion smashed the car into the ground and sent the hood 50 feet into the air.

In a serious fight I could, not counter insurgency, I can easily see pumping 50 cal into every vehicle on the street. As cited above, couldn't the have tried a LAW first instead of the Jav? I'm just saying........

Just don't try to tell a combat Marine or grunt who was deployed in Ramadi in 2004-2006 that counter insurgency was not a "serious fight". I know what you're saying though.

I am pretty sure that what Dan meant was...in COIN operations, we cannot really just open fire at suspicious vehicles/people/buildings....in COIN...the idea is to win the hearts and minds,and you cannot do that by blowing up grandpa's car,just because it was on the side of the road with its hood up. Compared to a real "Hot war" situation,such as what CMSF base game generally is meant to show,where you know that the other side is the enemy...in COIN, you do not know it is enemy,until it does something hostile to you.