indirect on map artillery

I took this quote from a DAR thread but I didn't want to overpopulate it with non DAR posts so I started another thread.

I can answer the question about on-map indirectly. From the spotter's perspective there is no difference between on and off-map behavior. When you think about it, there shouldn't be because we're simulating the indirect fire, not whether the asset is on or off the map.

Steve

can you tell us how is the AI using the spotters/HQs to call the on map artillery? Can they call the on map arty the same way they call the off map? In CM1 the AI's on map guns stay in the same place all day long,no matter if the AI is attacking or defending.Now,in CMBN is the attacking AI pushing forward its guns?

Thanks in advance!

How is the speed of getting rounds on target when spotting for on-map guns and mortars compared to off-map?

In CMx1 on-map mortars, even when firing without LOS through a HQ, would be much quicker than spotting for off-map mortars.

Is there a chance to get -say- a PaK howitzer in so that the US side can fire some guns? So far we only have the German infantry guns.

Can't find the post at the moment, but if I recall the details of his post correctly, Moon has confirmed that yes, full gun/mortar ballistics are modeled for on-map indirect fire.

So my understanding is that if a high velocity gun has to shoot over an obstacle, (e.g., crest or row of buildings) to reach a certain area, the gun may not be able to hit the target, as the ballistics of the gun could mean that the shell will fly well long of the target area before it comes back down to ground level.

This should mean that the lighter howitzers will have a new utility in CMBN. Many mortars and howitzers also have the capability to fire shells with varying charge (and therefore muzzle velocity), which further expands their ability to hit targets in defilade. IIRC, the minimum range of most 81mm mortars firing on charge 0 is only a couple of hundred meters, which is a very useful thing for dropping shells onto an enemy reverse slope position, especially in tight quarters engagements like what we should be seeing in the bocage.

Cheers,

YD