Simple editor assumption ... but might be under NDA still

Here's a simple editor question/assumption as hinted at in the new online Feature List.

Under [bUILDINGS] it mention all sorts of neat stuff ... different styles, heights, special buildings, windows/doors etc. Combined with the flavour objects this is going to be, for a geographer like me, amazing.

Under [sIMULATION] it talks about deformable terrain, including the partial and complete destruction of buildings.

Can anyone yet address my assumption that the buildings you place while creating a new map can be put into one of those assumed three states (OK, partially ruined, fully destroyed) so that they appear that way when the game begins? I would assume so, but didn't see any confirmation of that. My search-fu couldn't find any reference to this.

Thanks.

P.S. Already drawn out two depleted company scale engagement maps to create when I can get my hands on the editor.

Here's a simple editor question/assumption as hinted at in the new online Feature List.

Under [bUILDINGS] it mention all sorts of neat stuff ... different styles, heights, special buildings, windows/doors etc. Combined with the flavour objects this is going to be, for a geographer like me, amazing.

Under [sIMULATION] it talks about deformable terrain, including the partial and complete destruction of buildings.

Can anyone yet address my assumption that the buildings you place while creating a new map can be put into one of those assumed three states (OK, partially ruined, fully destroyed) so that they appear that way when the game begins? I would assume so, but didn't see any confirmation of that. My search-fu couldn't find any reference to this.

Thanks.

P.S. Already drawn out two depleted company scale engagement maps to create when I can get my hands on the editor.

The existing CM:SF editor allows you to do this already, with patience. Place a building on the map. Go in to 3-d view. Click on the walls to cycle through the various window/door options and you will find the 'breached' version of the wall. Put those in various places on the building to set up varying degrees of damage. Can be rather time intensive if there are lots of buildings to set up though.

I'd expect the CM:BN editor to have either an identical procedure or a slightly streamlined one.

In the CMSF Editor you have the option to choose 'ruined' to place the rubble that is otherwise generated in game when a buliding collapses. Then you have the option to place buildings (1 to 8 floors). In the 3-D preview of the editor you can then click on each of the walls on every floor to change to different windows/door configurations. One of the configurations takes away the entire wall and another makws it 'destroyed'.

Made in less then 5 minutes:

cmsfkaputt.jpg

... Argh, only second.

I'm hoping several rounds from a Sherman 105 will still do some damage. Then there's the Brummbar and Sturmmorser. :)

Some of those old Normandy buildings are built with solid stone walls several feet thick, and might be able to shrug off several rounds of 105 without losing structural integrity. Then again, certainly not all buildings were built this solidly.

One improvement I'm hoping we do see in CMBN is more variation in building strength -- in CMSF, the game seems to assume that all buildings are more or less of the same construction. For Normandy it would be great if we can see a real tactical difference between a stone church and a livestock shed.

Cheers,

YD