Gill Launcher problem

Hi Guys,

I'm having some problems with the Dutch Gill.

Specifically it cannot hit a specific target in one of the campaign missions. I have reloaded a saved game 3 times and the same team can expend 3 missiles each time without hitting the static target!

Is there a bug with it?

I must say that in general i seem to have serious LOS problems with this specific weapon, the crew just can't see anything!! in one of the first campaign missions i could never get them to see any of the vehicles unless they where placed on top of buildings. If i put the view down to their level they should have been able to see several big silhouetted bmp's and moving t72's.

I have the save from the first mentioned situation if interested.

Thanks!

I have to say I am finding the Canadian ATGM pretty useless as well in the campaign. Even at static targets like buildings, the missile tends to drop half way - I have had one successful shot out of many attempts. I am wondering if it's because I have set the ATGM up at ground level rather or just above (perhaps one flight up). Maybe the trajectory needs to be higher.

Not my impression, phil.

I have just come out of mission 4 in the Dutch campaign (a real slugfest!!!), and I have serious issues with the GILL missiles as well. They should have been one of my most important assets in this mission and quite simply put, they failed miserably. I had them all on second and third storey rooftops and while I found they spotted well, they couldn't hit a thing for the most part. I have narrowed the problem down to this, though:

The GILL missile tracking system seems to have a lot of trouble under circumstances where LOF is obscured by smoke. In my battle, there was a lot of artillery coming down, plenty of vehicles burning and popping smoke, bombs dropping, etc. Under those conditions, every GILL dropped to the ground after 100-200 meters. On the rare occasions where LOF was clear, they actually performed adequately, I'll call it maybe 70-80% hits. Unfortunately, it is also not a very strong missile when it does hit, as many tanks survived a hit or two. How realistic any of this is, I have no idea, but that is my experience in-game. Always look for the clear LOS/LOF. Also try not to fire at moving targets if you can avoid it, the GILLs seem to have trouble with that as well.

In the described battle I found the CV9035 to be an excellent system to fight tanks in urban terrain. They spot well and their 35mm Bushmaster can brew up a T-72 MV from the frontal aspect (!!!) with a little luck. Certainly from the flank the CV 9035 will usually take out the tank before it can react. Too bad they have a rather short supply of ammo, my only gripe. :)

I'm not sure if this effects the issues being discussed here, much less qualifying for placement in a tech support forum, but the flight path for the MR-Spike is also not visually represented correctly. As it's presently modeled, the missile flies in a straight line with its warhead permanently pointed skyward at a 20 degree angle instead of along a trajectory with the nose correctly changing its attitude accordingly.

When the camera is pulled back, it also exhibits two exhaust plumes one at the correct angle in relation to the missile and the other at a forty five degree angle. In the image below the missile is aligned with the top plume. Perhaps it should be arching upward to match the angled plume instead?

gill2.jpg

Also, the Eryx should be able to "Deploy" via a small tripod.

eryx.jpg

Related or not, it would be great if these things could get cleared up in v1.32.

-> Phil

Yes i agree that is the situation I am experiencing also. This doesn't seem right.

-> Stoex

That's the same mission I'm talking about! Really a lot of the missiles fired hit the terrain just past the western buildings.

-> Peter

You're right the warhead is pointing upwards at a funny angle

I loaded up the same save again this morning and what do you know!! first launch and it's a hit!! Through smoke and all!! :-D

Maybe I can get consistent hits now?? 8-/

Time to go to the firing range and test it in a controlled environment.

In mission 2 of the Dutch campaign my Gills have taken our about a dozen of enemy vehicles (tanks & ifv's) without failure and heavy smoke.

Also in a PBEM I used a couple and they all hit their targets, albeit the most heavy target they took out where Shilka's.

So, untill now I don't really have any problems with it.