New Ammo Sharing Observations

Lanzfeld

No big deal. Just pointing out what I have seen.

1. While units share jav missles they will not share AT4's even if one unit has 4 of them and another has none. Yes, same platoon.

2. The crews are cheap about giving away M240 ammo. I had one M240 squad with zero 7.62 left so I sent another M240 crew over that I loaded up with over 1000 extra 7.62 rounds. They only gave the empty crew 1 belt or so (not enough to even raise the ammo bar one tick even though the fat team had a pegged green ammo count). Maybe they should be tweaked to give a few more ticks?

3. We have seen the thread where missles are passed up a building instantly.

What have you guys seen?

Lanzfeld,

We have just cross-posted. I JUST started a thread with this issue regarding the British dismounted version of the automatic grenade launcher. Ammo sharing doesn't seem to work with that weapon. I'm asking for more information.

This seems to back up my impression that ammo sharing is not quite perfected yet.

Ken

I'll try to answer these to the best of my ability, and I might actually be wrong, as I haven't been paying a huge amount of attention (personally) to ammo sharing while testing.

1. I believe this to be due to the fact that AT4s are one-shot weapons, so the AI views them like a piece of equipment like binoculars, demo charges, or a rifle, and therefore not something to be given away. It's like how teams with Javs share the missiles, but don't pass the CLUs around. ;)

2. This is due to the way that ammo sharing works. Someone who's tested this more thoroughly than I can hopefully confirm or deny, but I think the way ammo sharing works is just that: if a team is nearby, it shares its ammo with any teams nearby that need any. It doesn't give it to them permanently, so it's not going to show up in their ammo bar.

I have no idea what's up with your Brit issue, c3k. I haven't played enough with British GMG teams to know the ins and outs of ammo distribution. ;) (Ironically, I was just thinking about making a campaign that would feature Brit GMG teams . . . :D)

Thanks for the response FMB.

If the second point is correct (no "giving" of ammo. You have to keep both teams together to share) than you cannot use a dismounted crew from a knocked out Stryker as ammo runners. Interesting.

A big problem with this is that M240 crews cannot split to form their own runners for ammo.

I have seen Gill missiles passed over immediately, over the fence and up the building and premanently (it shows in the ammo bar of the recipient AT team). Seems gamey to me, I would prefer if it worked in very close proximity (10 meters) only, or there should be some delay. But maybe the delay is there in the reload time, I'm not sure.

"It doesn't give ammo to them permanently."

Well that was rather important news to me. Wish someone would tell us this stuff - maybe in a manual update every now and again.

Question: I loaded up my HQ's with ammo and rockets etc and brought them into the same room as inf low on ammo (for a couple of turns), and I didn't see any improvement in the inf's ammo of any kind. Do they have to be together for a minimum amount of time?

I read on another thread that units can only share ammo with units from the same platoon. Is that correct (anyone)? And is the same true for the HQ of that platoon?

Does that mean that a company or higher HQ can never share ammo then?

The platoon thing I think is true. You should run a quick test on the Company HQ.

Or I will tomorrow.

c3k is doing something similar in another thread. This a such an important feature I really hope we can have definitive rules/explanation re how ammo sharing works from BF.

I would love for them to say SOMETHING as well. I mean they release this feature but then dont include any information on it when we have obvious questions. I glad we have some sort of ammo sharing but geeez fellas give us the time of day here.