Shooting Through Solid Walls Bug?

Starting a new thread so BFC can see this.

Well I didnt know this could happen but I just saw it. I saw a firefight through a solid wall (solid on BOTH sides) with no windows or doors. I was on the 4th campaign mission map called "Dar Al As Sud". Check out the map at the crossroads where the big apartments make a "L" shape. The road that comes into the map from the west side (about middle map) goes to a 4-way intersection....there. I was in the corner building with 1 squad and in the connected building directly north of me I discovered a Red squad and killed them. My guys were not moving but just saw the Reds. Now that wall is solid from both sides yet my squad spotted and killed the Reds. Bug?

The only thing I can see is that the north building is slightly higher up from the ground than the building I was in. Like you would have to step up into it.

Strange. Anyone check this out and let me know what you think.

Connected building complexes is (are?) tricky. If one wall in either building is missing or has a door/window then the game assumes there are openings to shoot through. I get the feeling scenario designers have pushed buidling design about about as far as the game engine can handle. One of my old scenarios has a shopping mall made up of 80 connected building with missing interior facades - What could possibly go wrong? :)

Was the building partially damaged? CMSF is tracking a couple of levels of structural damage IIRC and starting with the first (lightest) one already, it probably assumes an abstracted level of damage creating loopholes even if now windows or doors were originally present.

Was the building partially damaged? CMSF is tracking a couple of levels of structural damage IIRC and starting with the first (lightest) one already, it probably assumes an abstracted level of damage creating loopholes even if now windows or doors were originally present.

Moon,

It WAS slightly damaged from my recon by fire. Wow...I forgot that.

Thank you! Not sure 100% that is what is going on but it does make sense.

That reminds me, has the walking through the solid wall bug been fixed? ...

natobug.jpg

Do you talk about this one? I reported it some time ago in the NATO v1.30 little bug thread. Since then I don't have seen it again during play, but I don't know if something was done about it by BF.

As I mentioned previously in other threads, I have seen firing through solid building walls in CMA and CMSF NATO, that have nothing to do with interior walls or adjacent walls.

Wow, I've always assumed it's a feature and not a bug. Have had it happen once or twice but thought it quite realistic. I couldn't imagine a MOUT scenario (like Stalingrad) where it's not at least possible.

If you know the enemy is on the other side of a wall or other obstacle it doesn't prevent you from killing him.

natobug.jpg

Do you talk about this one? I reported it some time ago in the NATO v1.30 little bug thread. Since then I don't have seen it again during play, but I don't know if something was done about it by BF.

Similar, but mine was in a building like this:

(Thanks to the community pointers I've finally posted my first screen. Oh and this was pre- 1.31)

post-13152-141867622128_thumb.jpg

Great video.

I would just like to say that I started this thread not because my guys could SHOOT through walls (we know that firearms can do this) but because my guys SPOTTED through walls (which Moon said MAY be because of recon fire damage).

Oops my bad - should read the whole thread eh? :o