New Research Options

One of the winners of StratCom Design Challenge wants full customisable research options for a next release. Is this proposal ready to take off?

"...game effects and applicable units should be able to be specified by the user in the game editor..." (Moonslayer)

I would love to customize a bid more then before. Please say yes, Hubert.

This will probably be a tough one for the AI to deal with, not likely to see in the future either, but I like the idea. What we need is the anti-aircraft slot for ground and naval forces and then we can go double strikes with all air units.

Combine the IW and AT to HW = heavy weapons and replace the TAC AT tech with GS = ground support and add FB tech = fighter bombers to fighters. More air techs raises the cost to enhance them and double strikes reduces the unit density since the air units will be able to perform like twice their number.:)

SeaMonkey, I think you're going to like some of the changes we have made to the research categories for this release. :)

Not only have we implemented most of what you've mentioned above, but we've also added the ability to turn each category on or off in the editor. So, if you want your infantry to have one of their assigned categories, like Anti-Aircraft, you can change it in the editor so that they can have it. Or you can turn it off if you'd rather they couldn't upgrade with this.

To summarise, the range of categories per unit type is still limited, but players can decide whether or not to allow all of each unit type's applicable upgrades to be available in the game.

And yes, Infantry and Anti-Tank is now combined into one category so that infantry can upgrade with AA, as can most ships.