Minor cover question...

c3k

Gents,

Right now the game allows friendly fire to go through friendly vehicles. LOS for both enemy and friendly can pass through vehicles. That's all well and good. Sometimes I take advantage of the asymmetry, but I rationalize it by thinking the friendly unit has a great keyhole location. This behavior is well documented and the reasoning behind is very well supported.

Flavor objects are similar, in that they do not affect LOS, but they do affect LOF (or, if they don't actually modify LOF, they offer ballistic protection benefits which result in the same protection). Hence, those nifty sandbag revetments designers SLAVE over (have you ever tried placing all those sandbags yourself? My mouse finger aches at the memory...), afford REAL protection.

Now, it's time to tie those two facts together...with ZOMBIES!

Do bodies afford protection?

In a battle I'm playing, one of the forces is taking horrendous casualties. The dead and wounded are, literally, stacked on top one another. The few survivors are sprinkled amongst them. In a putative zombie scenario, this could be quite important to model. Absent the living undead, and ignoring snarky comments about the homo-erotic "300" and their wall of bodies (FOR SPARTA!), there were enough instances of forces using the dead to bolster their defenses that perhaps it could be modeled. Soviet human waves spring to mind. (As do Chinese attacks in Korea.)

Now, we have had the odd call here and there for cows, goats, sheep, and ox (strangely, yaks have been forgotten) to be modelled in CM, with the advantage of using them as bovine, caprine, or ovine cover. What about homo erectus? Or, perhaps a bit more pointedly, homo supine?

Do casualties afford cover in a manner similar to flavor objects or vehicles?

:)

Ken

It probably doesn't make a difference. If the bodies of your troops are stacked up like cordwood you're probably on the way to losing the the battle anyway ;)

That being said, I want to say that I've seen stacked bodies in trenches absorbing bullets for their comrades, though its not a feature I'd stake my whole strategy on. Human shields do sometimes work, though. I recall in one scenario an advancing infantryman taking a big HE shell in the face that was meant for some other unit further downrange. Ouch!