Possible minor problem with Marder area fire logic:

akd

...in that it doesn't seem entirely logical to me. Here is how it currently works:

Target light --> building < 400m = 20mm cannon

Target heavy --> building < 400m = 20mm cannon

Target light --> building > 400m = 20mm cannon

Target heavy --> building > 400m = 20mm cannon + Milan

Target light --> ground < 400m = MG

Target heavy --> ground < 400m = MG

Target light --> ground > 400m = MG

Target heavy --> ground > 400m = MG + Milan

Target heavy --> ground > 400m with Milans expended = MG

Consequently, the Marder will waste Milans (in most circumstances) on ground area targets, but will never use the more appropriate weapon: 20mm HE. This also leads to the commander automatically unbuttoning to fire the Milan (and getting stuck unbuttoned while reloading) in dangerous circumstances. I don't think the commander should automatically unbutton unless ordered to or unless a priority Milan target is spotted (i.e. tank/AFV at long range). Also would be nice if the discontinue reloading when given another order (i.e. button up) would work for AFV crew.

Would the following logic be possible?

Target light --> building < 400m = MG

Target heavy --> building < 400m = 20mm

Target light --> building > 400m = MG

Target heavy --> building > 400m = 20mm

Target heavy --> building > 400m while commander is unbuttoned = 20mm + Milan

Target light --> ground < 400m = MG

Target heavy --> ground < 400m = 20mm

Target light --> ground > 400m = MG

Target heavy --> ground > 400m = 20mm

Target heavy --> ground > 400m while commander is unbuttoned = 20mm + Milan

Is the Marder firing at a spotted infantry target or is it just firing at a building (in one test) and a point on the ground (in the other test)?

If these are just area target commands (and not spotted infantry targets), perhaps some logic about suppression is at work: the Marder knows that MG will do little to suppress people in a building (and so uses the cannon), but it sees firing the cannon at an open spot of ground as a waste of ammo.

This doesn't explain using the Milan on a ground target, though.

Although I didn't do any testing, but I did see a couple of my Marders firing it's Milan at infantry on the ground. It seemed odd to use a AT rocket when there's plenty of MG and 20mm HE ammo available.

I never understood why they didn't give us more control over what weapons are used. Especially with the modern era stuff having multiple weapon systems on a AFV. Could still keep the existing "Target" and Target Light" but after clicking on one of the buttons there could be a weapon box that pops up and you can choose which weapon to use.

Is the Marder firing at a spotted infantry target or is it just firing at a building (in one test) and a point on the ground (in the other test)?

This doesn't explain using the Milan on a ground target, though.

Area fire is fire that is not directed at a spotted target. My observations above only concern player directed fire at area targets, not spotted targets or AI selected targets.

• 3 years later...

Digging this one up as it's the only relevant thread I found, but I find this problematic as well. Suppose you'll suppress/kill some infantry in a trench, the obvious weapon of choice for the marder is the 20mm but instead it opens up with the coax MG. Big drop in firepower.

The Bradley has basically the same weapon setup and uses the 25mm all the time, why doesn't the marder mimic it?

Digging this one up as it's the only relevant thread I found, but I find this problematic as well. Suppose you'll suppress/kill some infantry in a trench, the obvious weapon of choice for the marder is the 20mm but instead it opens up with the coax MG. Big drop in firepower.

The Bradley has basically the same weapon setup and uses the 25mm all the time, why doesn't the marder mimic it?

Im not sure why it is the way it is. By choice or a bug. One thing is for certain though and that is that it wont change. CMSF is no longer suported.

But its something to keep an eye on for CMBS and the probable new version/revival of CMSF.