1.21 required for modules or not , ambiguous info online

scottie

Ok, after being bombarded by everyone excitement of CMSF i installed it again yesterday. Taking it easy by creating a scenario in my favour to learn the ropes again without getting too frustrated by massacres and high tech long range weapons. Prefer the green European looking maps , think this is one of the reasons i stopped playing it TBH , desert just doesn't look that good.

Anyway, 1.10 patch installed, 1.20 patched installed. Stopped short of installing 1.21 because the text claims you don't need to upgrade to it 1.2.1 if you ever plan to install a module. BUT examining NATO site it claims you need to be on 1.2.1 to install NATO.

1) so which is it ?

2) when is the nato/marine/brits bundle likely to be available ?

Thanks

Scott

I can answer #1 - yes you will need to patch your game to 1.21 before installing the NATO module.

I can't answer #2 although I'm sure Moon will be along soon to answer that.

The area the NATO forces were operating in (campaign timeline) is more agricultural - lot's of olive groves, orchards etc hence the 'greener' maps.

correct , didnt install 1.2.1 as site claims you dont need too if you purchase a module. Planning to purchase NATO (preferable as a bundle as i dont own any other modules) so didnt think i needed to install 1.2.1 at all , i.e the 1.2.1 mods are installed with any module ... is what i took from the below phrase .... am i missing something here ? a brain perhaps :)

"Combat Mission: Shock Force - Paradox Version

These patches are applicable ONLY for the retail version distributed by Paradox Interactive. If you have ANY other Module installed, then you DO NOT NEED this patch."

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_versions&Itemid=317#Combat Mission: Shock Force

correct , didnt install 1.2.1 as site claims you dont need too if you purchase a module. Planning to purchase NATO (preferable as a bundle as i dont own any other modules) so didnt think i needed to install 1.2.1 at all , i.e the 1.2.1 mods are installed with any module ... is what i took from the below phrase .... am i missing something here ? a brain perhaps :)

"Combat Mission: Shock Force - Paradox Version

These patches are applicable ONLY for the retail version distributed by Paradox Interactive. If you have ANY other Module installed, then you DO NOT NEED this patch."

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_versions&Itemid=317#Combat Mission: Shock Force

It means that once you've purchased and installed a module, your game automatically becomes a "Battlefront version" instead of a "Paradox version" and therefore you should from then on only install patches intended for the "Battlefront version", so for example the 1.21 patch intended for the "Battlefront version".

If you have not installed a module, then you should download and install the Paradox 1.21. The "YOU DO NOT NEED this patch phrase" basically means don't get this version of the 1.21 patch, but the other version (Battlefront) of the 1.21 patch.

So in your case, you can go ahead and install the 1.21 Paradox version.

It means that once you've purchased and installed a module, your game automatically becomes a "Battlefront version" instead of a "Paradox version" and therefore you should from then on only install patches intended for the "Battlefront version", so for example the 1.21 patch intended for the "Battlefront version".

If you have not installed a module, then you should download and install the Paradox 1.21. The "YOU DO NOT NEED this patch phrase" basically means don't get this version of the 1.21 patch, but the other version (Battlefront) of the 1.21 patch.

So in your case, you can go ahead and install the 1.21 Paradox version.

Ah i see thanks , so whatever version i install / have i still need to install 1.21 just what flavour of 1.2.1 depends on whether i have installed a module or not.

So installing a module takes me from paradox 1.2.0 to BF 1.2.0 .... so then i would install BF 1.2.1.

Not installing a module keeps me on paradox 1.2.0 .... so then install paradox 1.2.1.

Gotcha , cheers, thanks for the clarification ... no wonder BF moved away from retail :)

Not that i am quibling about spending $1 (or about £3 after fees in practice) , not much point in purchasing 1.2.1 (paradox) as im planning to purchase module .... could do with that NATO/BRITS/MARINE bundle though. How long before the buddle is availble (historical how long does it take 1 day , 1 week, 1 month ?)

Not that i am quibling about spending $1 (or about £3 after fees in practice) , not much point in purchasing 1.2.1 (paradox) as im planning to purchase module .... could do with that NATO/BRITS/MARINE bundle though. How long before the buddle is availble (historical how long does it take 1 day , 1 week, 1 month ?)

Just spotted this sorry.

"Later this month, a bundle will be made available including all three modules (Marines, British Forces and NATO) for only $50. This bundle will replace the existing Marines + British Forces bundle available currently (for $35)."

Does that mean new vegetation or just different level design?

Neither :) The area of Syria the NATO actions are set in are generally more devloped - agriculture etc hence the 'greener' landscapes. It's not down to new vegetation or a differant level of design just the maps are based on areas of Syria that are more fertile. The bRits and US were fighting in the more desert areas hence the maps in these modules are nore barren compared to the ones in the NATO module.

A week or two? Not sure. There are a bunch of other things on the plate that need to be done first (such as the 1.30 patch and demo).

BTW: The Marines+Brits bundle is available right now for $35. If you buy that and Nato, you'll spend $10 more than later with the three-module-bundle, but you can have it right away.

Oh, and to answer the original question:

you definitely need the game patched to v1.21 before installing NATO. I think the other replies in the thread explained the seeming confusion. If you only have the Paradox Plain Jane CMSF game and nothing else, then this may mean having to buy the $1 v1.21 retail patch. This upgrades your game to v1.21 (and converts it to a Battlefront version, since Paradox stopped support).

There is a way to avoid the $1, but it's a bit convoluted. You have to patch CMSF Paradox to whatever latest version patch is available for free (v1.20 I think), then install NATO. It won't work (correctly). THEN install the v1.21 Battlefront patch (it's free), and then install NATO again.

Martin

From the NATO readme.

CLEAN INSTALL:

Below is a brief step by step instruction on how to do a clean reinstall of CMSF. If you do not have a Module listed below, simply skip the step. Don't forget to UNLICENSE your keys on the previous PC before reinstalling on a different PC!

1- install the base game, Combat Mission Shock Force. This will typically be v1.00 or v1.01.

2- install the Marines Module. This will update your game to v1.10.

2b- use your Marines Module license key to activate. This will activate both the base game AND the module.

3- install the British Forces Module. This will update your game to v1.20.

3b- use your Britihs Forces license key to activate.

4- install the v1.21 Patch. This will update your game to v1.21. Make sure to select the correct components (modules + Base game) to update.

5- install the NATO module. This will update your game to v1.30.

5b- use your NATO module key to activate. This will activate both the base game and the module in one go.

For me this is not an issue, but for one buying a module package it sure sounds like it may be... Am I correct in thinking earlier modules remove the need for the Paradox patch?

For me this is not an issue, but for one buying a module package it sure sounds like it may be... Am I correct in thinking earlier modules remove the need for the Paradox patch?

Correct. ANY module removes the need for the Paradox patch. After installing a module, you only need Battlefront patches, and you do not need to patch the base game separately. Patching a module always updates the base game automatically (just like licensing a module always activates the base game automatically).

A week or two? Not sure. There are a bunch of other things on the plate that need to be done first (such as the 1.30 patch and demo).

BTW: The Marines+Brits bundle is available right now for $35. If you buy that and Nato, you'll spend $10 more than later with the three-module-bundle, but you can have it right away.

thanks for the reply martin , good to understand the time scale , helps me make a more informed decision.

Oh, and to answer the original question:

you definitely need the game patched to v1.21 before installing NATO. I think the other replies in the thread explained the seeming confusion. If you only have the Paradox Plain Jane CMSF game and nothing else, then this may mean having to buy the $1 v1.21 retail patch. This upgrades your game to v1.21 (and converts it to a Battlefront version, since Paradox stopped support).

There is a way to avoid the $1, but it's a bit convoluted. You have to patch CMSF Paradox to whatever latest version patch is available for free (v1.20 I think), then install NATO. It won't work (correctly). THEN install the v1.21 Battlefront patch (it's free), and then install NATO again.

Martin

eh understood , i think :) , thanks again for the clarity.