Homemade Spacecraft

MeatEtr

Video from a camera attached to a weather balloon that rose into the upper stratosphere and recorded the blackness of space. Seven-year-old Max Geissbuhler and his dad Luke Geissbuhler dreamed of visiting space. Armed with just a weather balloon, a video camera, and an iPhone, they basically did just that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkoIBDXwd8

Thought this was pretty interesting and a helluva father/son project to under take. :)

tycho_withman01.jpg

http://www.copenhagensuborbitals.com/spacecraft.php

:eek:

A small Danish organisation funded entirely by sponsorship is developing a rocket to send a man into space.

The capsule itself only has enough space for one astronaut who must stand upright during the course of the flight, looking out through a polymer Plexiglas dome. Because of the tight space constraints, the astronaut cannot move around inside it either − he will only be able to move his arms to operate the control systems.

Standing upright in a rocket? Somehow that strikes me as the ideal way for G forces to do their worst.

Yeah. When I read that I wondered if they were expecting the rocket's acceleration to be very gentle. If that's the case, then it must be extremely long burning to be able to achieve the necessary velocity. Ergo, my observation that this whole plan is nuts.

Michael