Command Squad

weapon2010

I believe it's just part of the HQ squad that the commander is in, but for tactical flexibility in the game you are allowed to move it around as a separate unit. For example, in a Syrian Airborne platoon you will notice that the HQ and command squads together look just like a rifle squad. In real life the platoon commander is just attached to a normal rifle squad, but in the game it is represented as HQ and command squads. I think the RPG team in a normal Syrian rifle platoon is also technically part of the HQ squad, but is split off for flexibility. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct.

There are some situations, especially in Soviet doctrine, where the HQ is actually organized as a fighting unit. The primary problem we have in CMx2, at the moment, is a HQ must be its own separate Team. That means we have to break a Squad up into two separate Teams... one HQ, one Command. You'll see this with the Dutch in NATO.

At first we thought having HQs contained within Squads was going to be a rare exception, therefore the UI and supporting game code was setup the way you guys see it today. However, as we've become familiar with the recent TO&E of many nations, and then looking back at some WW2 stuff we didn't simulate back in CMx1 days, we found a lot more of these exceptions (for they still are exceptions) than we thought. Which means at some point, probably the next major release, we'll allow a HQ to be a part of a Squad. This requires a lot of changes. A lot!

Steve

Which means at some point, probably the next major release, we'll allow a HQ to be a part of a Squad.

isnt it already this way for RED side? i mean the platoon HQ is actually part of the 1st squad...or am i remembering wrong?

i am not happy about this solution as it has a huge negative side effect. when you want to be C2 linked with the Co HQ you need to have the whole 1st squad sitting in the BTR/BMP. mean you have the commander on the radio and the other 7-8 guys are sitting in the vehice twisting thumbs. this costs about 1/3 of the firepower of every red platoon on the map and is a big waste of firepower in my eyes. after all 1/3rd less firepower only to be linked with Co and so, also with Bn HQ is a very very bitter trade.

about command squad;

i was useing this squad as a security unit for the Co and Bn HQ´s. if my RED high lvl HQ´s are threatened by the enemy, the command squad joins the fight to have the actual HQ one or two more turns out of the fight.

if no enemy is around they are spotting for the HQ which is in cover in a house or something.

It's been my understanding that whole squads put out more firepower than when broken out into their constituent teams. Same number of barrels, sure, but better fire coordination or sumfink. Right?

So I think Steves point is that HQ squads and their mates lose this benefit until BFC can tweak the code to allow it.