Afraid not, theFightingSeabee.

The post Night Stalkers crash bug is rather infamous. I'm told it was fixed in 1.20 or 1.21, but I'm pretty sure I had it crash after that too.

It is all rather mysterious why some people crash and others don't. I for one never got past that mission and am not particularly inclined to even try any more. :(

Does anyone have:

1) A savegame from the start of the mission after Night Stalkers?

2) A patched up campaign file, with which they managed to proceed past that mission?

Please send either or both to elmarby (at) gmail.com and I might take another crack at it.

Afraid not, theFightingSeabee.

The post Night Stalkers crash bug is rather infamous. I'm told it was fixed in 1.20 or 1.21, but I'm pretty sure I had it crash after that too.

It is all rather mysterious why some people crash and others don't. I for one never got past that mission and am not particularly inclined to even try any more. :(

Yeah, I get that with mine (which is on 1.21); I've gotten past it before (think I surrendered the scenario just before it would normally have ended) but never reliably.

My suspicion is that it's something to do with the Paradox version of the game, but I'm not going to buy a download version just to test that theory.

I'm supposing NATO will patch to 1.22, so fingers crossed. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, I get that with mine (which is on 1.21); I've gotten past it before (think I surrendered the scenario just before it would normally have ended) but never reliably.

My suspicion is that it's something to do with the Paradox version of the game, but I'm not going to buy a download version just to test that theory.

I'm supposing NATO will patch to 1.22, so fingers crossed. :D

I just got back from overseas... bought a new computer with Windows 7... put in my CD for CM Shock Force and I cant even get it to install now... I tried 4 times... and nothing... Should I just buy a new copy or does Windows 7 and Vista "F" everything up. I dont know what to do.. I was just about to buy the entire collection.. but if it wont run with Windows 7 Im screwed... any suggestions???

James...

Semper FI

I just got back from overseas... bought a new computer with Windows 7... put in my CD for CM Shock Force and I cant even get it to install now... I tried 4 times... and nothing... Should I just buy a new copy or does Windows 7 and Vista "F" everything up. I dont know what to do.. I was just about to buy the entire collection.. but if it wont run with Windows 7 Im screwed... any suggestions???

CMSF (and in fact ALL of our games) run perfectly fine on Windows 7. I am not sure what it means that you cannot get them to "install"? This is too vague to offer any help. Is the disc broken? The downloaded file corrupt? Does it actually install but do you mean that you cannot activate your license?

Here is some generic help (available also in our www.battlefront.com/helpdesk):

Usually, the main problem is one of your security settings:

a) you have to "Run as admin" for the first launch (this is required to get your key activated)

B) your anti-virus program should be stopped from "guessing". AV programs cannot decode our copy protection and may suspect something bad going on. The bad ones simply block the program without telling you anything about it.

c) DEP (data execution prevention). Basically the same thing as above. This should be set to only affect "Windows relevant programs only".

Martin

CMSF (and in fact ALL of our games) run perfectly fine on Windows 7. I am not sure what it means that you cannot get them to "install"? This is too vague to offer any help. Is the disc broken? The downloaded file corrupt? Does it actually install but do you mean that you cannot activate your license?

Here is some generic help (available also in our www.battlefront.com/helpdesk):

Usually, the main problem is one of your security settings:

a) you have to "Run as admin" for the first launch (this is required to get your key activated)

B) your anti-virus program should be stopped from "guessing". AV programs cannot decode our copy protection and may suspect something bad going on. The bad ones simply block the program without telling you anything about it.

c) DEP (data execution prevention). Basically the same thing as above. This should be set to only affect "Windows relevant programs only".

Martin

I installed the game... I went to Run it as Administer.... but maybe there is something wrong with the disc... there is not EXE. file at all. It accepted the license I have but there is no EXE file to be found? I will uninstall.. and reinstall again... if that does not work.. then I will either bag it... or buy a new version of the game. Cant see how a disc will go bad being boxed up.. but anything is possible. Anyways.. there was no .EXE file at all.

I installed the game... I went to Run it as Administer.... but maybe there is something wrong with the disc... there is not EXE. file at all. It accepted the license I have but there is no EXE file to be found? I will uninstall.. and reinstall again... if that does not work.. then I will either bag it... or buy a new version of the game. Cant see how a disc will go bad being boxed up.. but anything is possible. Anyways.. there was no .EXE file at all.

Ok so basically I unistalled the game.. reinstalled it again. I get a message that says CM Shock Force .EXE has stopped working.

LAME!!!! lol Guess I need a new disk... although mine is in perfect condition. I did everthing by the book. In Admin mode and nothing.. so my copy has some serious issues or something else is amiss. Although there are NO... .EXE files in the program files at all. so its not loading from the disk is my guess.

Thats all I got.. I will seriouosly consider buying all the packs.. as I dont want to buy something thats not going to work.. or install on my computer properly. Unfortunately none of my other Battlefront games like Windows 7 as well.. (Battlefront CM BB, or CMAK) although I read there is a patch that fixes this.... ???? Im a little sceptical right now.

The EXE file is what needs to be launched for the license window to pop up. If there was no EXE, then you would not have been able to license the game in the first place.

The EXE may have been removed by your anti-virus program after running it!

There is no reason to buy a new version of the game at all. Nothing is wrong with the game. You are fighting against crappy security implementation on your PC (not of your fault, there are many crappy programs out there unfortunately).

Submit a support ticket at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk, please. Ian can walk you through disabling your anti-virus program temporarily for the activation to work. Some REALLY bad AV programs need to be uninstalled or they install some kind of toolbar without your knowledge that cannot be deactivated normally etc. but for most setting an exception rule or choosing "snooze" mode usually works fine.

Ok so basically I unistalled the game.. reinstalled it again. I get a message that says CM Shock Force .EXE has stopped working.

Since there is no problem with the game, uninstalling and reinstalling won't change anything. You need to change what is stopping the game from launching, and that's - probably - your anti-virus or other security settings.

LAME!!!! lol Guess I need a new disk... although mine is in perfect condition. I did everthing by the book. In Admin mode and nothing.. so my copy has some serious issues or something else is amiss. Although there are NO... .EXE files in the program files at all. so its not loading from the disk is my guess.

There is no problem with the disc, and there has to be an exe because otherwise you cannot launch the game to enter the license. From your previous post, it seems like your anti-virus program is removing the exe after launching it.

Thats all I got.. I will seriouosly consider buying all the packs.. as I dont want to buy something thats not going to work.. or install on my computer properly. Unfortunately none of my other Battlefront games like Windows 7 as well.. (Battlefront CM BB, or CMAK) although I read there is a patch that fixes this.... ???? Im a little sceptical right now.

Submit a support ticket at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk and we'll make sure your PC is able to run the games.

GhostRider3/3,

Moon is right (naturally), happens to me sometimes with my antivirus software. Just make sure you disable your antivirus software while installing the game and setting it up. Once you are up and running you can turn your AV back on. I've done a scan and it removed my EXE's and I also have to disable my AV whenever I DL anything new from Battlefront. It's just the nature of the beast.

It's weird but some antivirus stuff see the battlefront exe's as potential hazards and remove them, I'm sure due to the nature of licensing.

Try it, I bet it will work fine if you disable your AV and go through it again or let Moon walk you through it as he suggested.