Night Issues

Rayak47

Someone else mentioned this in their truck ambush thread and didn't receive much comment, but in that scenario my Sovs were nicely set up with hide commands and fields of fire. Out of nowhere they are getting picked off by the Afghans and they apparently can't see the muzzle flashes (can't spot the unit.) . I've tried replaying and redeploying several ways and the same thing always happens.

Is this intentional, were the Afghan's that good at nightfighting or is this a spotting error in the code. It just seem like troops in hid should have the spotting advantage over advancing troops at night.

I've just hit the second mission of the campaign and am not to excited about seeing this happen again.

Someone else mentioned this in their truck ambush thread and didn't receive much comment, but in that scenario my Sovs were nicely set up with hide commands and fields of fire. Out of nowhere they are getting picked off by the Afghans and they apparently can't see the muzzle flashes (can't spot the unit.) . I've tried replaying and redeploying several ways and the same thing always happens.

Is this intentional, were the Afghan's that good at nightfighting or is this a spotting error in the code. It just seem like troops in hid should have the spotting advantage over advancing troops at night.

I've just hit the second mission of the campaign and am not to excited about seeing this happen again.

If they were all hidden they're spotting ability goes down quite a bit. Have you tried unhiding them?

Good point on the hide command. I imagined guys hunkered down, trying not to make a sound but able to spot, like when we used to set up ambushes in a previous life. There was nobody going to sneak up on me without my knowing it first! (They left the trip flares out in CM.) I'll give it a shot without the hide command tonight to see how it goes.

No NVG not even the BMP-1's as far as I can tell (not listed in items or as a system that can be damaged.) Maybe I'll be surprised when I start playing it by the BMPs' spotting ability! They should have some IR capability...

All nights aren't equal in the game either. A clear night full moon lights up the landscape like a spotlight. No moon and overcast soldiers can barely see their virtual hand in front of their face. I heard that several of the night scenarios had been built, playtested, then the calendar dates shifted so the designer would get the lightng conditions needed for gameplay.