ATGMs for Mujahideens?

Amedeo

Somewhere in a stack of decaying VCR tapes I have an extended news report from the mid-80s on the Afghan conflict. The Mujahiddeen were indeed using Milan ATGMs. Frankly they didn't look half as useful as a trusty-old recoilless rifle.

I don't think anyone has public stats on when the CIA started supply ATGMs in that conflict and how many they supplied. The numbers on Stinger missiles sent and used, though, are pretty firm if you can locate the reports. Its odd in 7 years in Iraq and 9 years in Afghanistan I've not heard a report of a ATGM being used on American troops - outside of that single inaccurate report of a Kornet hit on an Abrams shortly before reaching Bagdad.

Some Mujahideens were covertly shuttle to one of the little islands on the west coast of Scotland to train with the Blowpipe. Things did not turn out the expected way, since it was from some sources “a piece of s…” ( 1 kill for 95 shots during the Falklands war) Then, the Americans reluctantly decided to provide the Stinger. The training once again started and a certain numbers were sent to Afghanistan. It seems that most of them were not used, but stored in safe places instead and never recovered.

Occidentals services were the following years on the look out, afraid to have one, still serviceable being used in a terrorist attack. The Pope aircraft was once thought to be such a target in Italy.

Besides these reports, I have never heard of the ATGM Milan being provided and or used in that conflict