CMSF Crashes

Okay new CPU

Windows 7

ATI 4670 (latest drivers)

Installed CMSF plus Marines and British models. Upgraded to version 1.21. The game runs for about 3-5 minutes and then crashes to desktop. Tried different video settings with no luck.

Now, the odd part is that the CMA demo works fine. Played it upward of thirty minutes with no issues. :confused:

Help??

This is strange. We saw this crashing problem with Catalyst drivers 9.4 - 9.9. It turned out to be an OpenGL texture management bug in the ATI/AMD Catalyst drivers. You could play the game for 5 - 20 minutes and then it would crash to the desktop. ATI/AMD fixed this problem starting with the 9.10 Catalysts. I think one Catalyst driver in that time had some other OpenGL problems, but other than that the drivers have continued to work. However I would expect to see the CMA Demo having the same problems as CMSF (they're basically the same game engine).

I suggest possibly uninstalling your current Catalyst drivers (10.8 ?) and possibly trying something a little older, like the 10.6 or 10.5 Catalysts. So download one of these older Catalyst drivers, completely uninstall your current Catalyst driver and reboot. Say no to any attempted video driver installation and when you're fully booted up run the installer for the 10.5 or 10.6 Catalysts. Hopefully that will fix this particular problem. If it doesn't, let us know.

• 1 month later...