Convoy Raider Mode Questions

I've searched the forum as well as the manual, and I can't find the answer to a quick couple of questions on the "convey raider" mode. While playing the Axis, it now seems that at the start of every turn, the "convey raider" mode is automatically turned on for several of my ships (but curiously, not all of them--I don't see a pattern, either). Should I leave it in this mode as the default, or does it impair other forms of combat (e.g., ship to ship; ship to shore)? If I don't want to leave it on as a default, is there an automatic way to toggle off this mode for all of my ships at once (rather than clicking on each ship individually to turn off "convoy raider" mode"), and just toggle it on when I plan to raid merchant shipping or a convoy lane with a particular ship?

Thanks in advance!

I'm no expert, but:

I think it functions just like the hunt/silent mode for subs. If you have it off, the ship will not raid convoys, everything else the same.

One thing, if your ship is low on supply, you should turn it off, because it uses supply when raiding.

Also, I noticed that subs that get attacked and move go into silent mode and I have to reset them to hunt. Maybe that is why yours are "turning on and off". Not sure I like that feature...

Sabot6,

We had an issue with the automatic 'raider mode' in Beta but I had hoped that it was resolved for the release.

Anyone else notice that ships are automatically switching to 'Raider' mode as I am unable to repeat it?

We did miss adding this to the User Manual with the last update and I'll look to fix that for the next patch.

David,

You are right about the subs that they go into Silent mode if they dive and escape... we added this as a counter balance to the more favorable and recent changes to Destroyers when coming into contact with Subs. The thinking was to help preserve the cat and mouse game at sea etc.

Hubert

Hubert, I don't need to send you a turn, you can replicate it very easily. Just play the 1st turn of 1939 scenario. On the second Axis turn, if you are not in port, you are marked with the 'R', except Graf Spee, who is blowing up oil at Trinidad. Just tried it 3 starts in a row, worked every time. Version 1.03. I don't remember if it is only the 1st turn though, I don't remember this occurring after the 1st turn.

It is important when subs run to go to silent. First, that is how they escape, second it keeps them from striking back constantly when you hunt for them again, and limits them from being too powerful. R is fine except you want to turn it off if you want your fleet invisible - i.e. it shows up as an icon for raiding like subs, and as mentioned supply might matter too.