patch question

Is it really necessary that every patch is incompatible with old games? Why can't the patches be set up to patch an existing game and just have both players agree that some of the rules have changed?

It is quite frustrating to have to wait for games to end. Always have new games starting. Right now, I have two 1.1 games going, and one 1.2. So can I have 3 instances of Global on my computer at once (adding a 1.3)?

Even if I can, it will be very confusing to remember what rules apply to what games. I'm going crazy (short ride). I appreciate the continued improvement of the game, but this makes it a pain as well. Seems we never finish a game because we always quit in favor of the new patch.

I agree that the issue can be "worked around" by having different installations on the same PC. However, if you are playing from a laptop you could start running into lack of space on the hard.

I'm not sure if the issue is software and the different versions would crash the game but I would like to see the patches compatible with older version game files. I have all the SC series from the original and it has been a major pain in the rear having all the different versions going. Having said that I can't praise enough the work that goes into making these patches in response to what is wanted by us gamers. I have never seen support like what the SC series has anywhere. It would just really be nice if older files could be brought up to speed on the newer versions.

When you start adding in feature changes, campaign changes and other major items it often unfortunately changes the data structure of the saved game files themselves rendering the older ones incompatible.

In the end and when you look at the list of changes you usually see that we go above and beyond what is usually included in a patch, which is mostly bug fixes.

Hopefully this minor inconvenience is a small enough price to pay for the level of support we provide for our games post release.