some newbie question

hi,

ive just purchased this game and have a couple of questions before i dive into my 1st campaign proper.

the default map seems to cramped so i downloaded the nupremal map which is a lot better imo.

i have a problem with the turn length though. the turns are 14 days sequential which means basically 1 turn per month. im used to playin more hands on strat games so the abstraction is a bit of an issue.

the two options i see are either makin the game 7 day sequential turns or 14 day simultaneous turns.

what option would you guys recommend?

Hi,

In my experience games of this scope are best played on a month or quarter schedule. But, 7 days is possible. Maybe with the larger map.

Welcome to the game. I hope you don’t mind a couple of questions. How did you hear about it and what prompted you to buy it?

Robert

Hi,

In my experience games of this scope are best played on a month or quarter schedule. But, 7 days is possible. Maybe with the larger map.

Welcome to the game. I hope you don’t mind a couple of questions. How did you hear about it and what prompted you to buy it?

Robert

ive known bout this game for years, i actually bought it back back on 2006 but just never managed to get into to.

ive mainly played the hearts or iron series so am more used to a hands on game experience, the abstraction with SC is gonna take a bit of gettin used to.:)

as an example, poland in hoi can normally be taken within 1 month but with the monthly turns in SC i reckon it will take at least 3, if not more.

im just curious to know if everyone here plays with monthly turns? and my other question still stands, do simultaneous turns enhance gameplay or does it cause problems with SC game mechanics?

im hopin i can stick with SC this time and get involved in some multiplayer.

I think the problem with changing the days per turn length in many scenarios is that the many scripts that come with each game are set to dates, not turn #'s. So there will be many problems, with historical events not firing when they are supposed to, this could seriously unbalance the game.

as an example, poland in hoi can normally be taken within 1 month but with the monthly turns in SC i reckon it will take at least 3, if not more. ...

...im hopin i can stick with SC this time and get involved in some multiplayer.

I haven't played any alternate scenarios in SCGC, but usually Poland falls by turn 2. Practice until you can be in Warsaw by the 2nd turn.

Multi player, mmmmm, gaming goodness. My schedule has precluded me from playing against others for a couple years, but the SC series shines when playing other humans. If you are having some difficulties with learning the game, sometimes you can get one of the kind souls here to play you and "show you the ropes", so to speak. If you can get a network game going, someone can explain what and why they do things while you take a spanking.

Good luck and have fun!

You have to use a combined services/arms approach. First you pound it with everything you've got like tac bombers, battleships and artillery. This will weaken the unit and if you use strategic bombing you can also reduce the supply state. When done properly, you should have no problem taking Copenhagen, Gibraltar or Malta.

lofty....the question is how do you want to take it? Slow, meticulously, suffering the fewest amount of casualties, garnishing your attacking units with experience or with overwhelming force and damn the cost?

IMO, the most efficient is to use a double strike armored unit that is HQ supported and in full supply, high readiness with the maximum amount of experience so as not to incur casualties........those vets know how to do the job, just give them the tools.

wlape3's approach of softening the target also helps before sending in the Panzers.

You could also wait until you've just taken down an enemy/neutral country(accepted their surrender) which heightens your morale and readiness. A couple of amphibs with research knocking on the door from sea tiles can do the job also.

So as you see, "there is more than one way to skin the cat". Happy gaming!