Night visual ranges?

Only US forces (and some Syrian SF) have NVGs, correct?

With that reality - It seems at times Syrian forces have to long of a visual range for middle of the night operations (midnight to 4AM).

I'm having conscript / green level rated units seeing and firing on targets 80/100 + meters away under night conditions......

How does night / dark hours actually work in CMSF? It seems visual ranges may differ somewhat on differing maps under the same night conditions. Meaning same date, same hour, elevations, LOS, etc....

Objects such a Light Post, these are not modeled within CMSF to give off light are they? In one play testing situation, I wondered if this was the case?? though on several other maps (wooded areas more or less) was still seeing conscript red forces targeting blue from 80 + meters in the middle of the night...

No, there are definitely no on-map light sources. I can't even begin to imagine the programming complexity to add that, although C3K is waging a pretty active tub-thumping campaign to have starshells in CMN. In any case, the power grid tends to go down pretty fast once an invading army (and air force) comes to town (CMSF doesn't "do" COIN, don't ask).

It's hard to tell what it might be you are seeing as spotting involves so many factors.

Well, not so much what I'm seeing, as that the AI is certainly seeing Blue forces at 80+ meters in the dark of night. Though, I'm starting to wonder about "moon" cycles during some of these Ops....that very well maybe it..... Not near my computer to check on that.

Side note - While playtesting.....I still believe the fittnes levels / tiring model needs to be tweaked. Veteran, Crack, Elite units still start tiring way too easily, quickly IMO.

Units moving slow over 10 meters (flat ground) at night (no sun) will begin to tire. I just don't find that accurate for "fit" soliders.

The moon most definitely has an effect in-game on spotting, and the game even has accurate moon phases and position in the sky for each date. If there is a lot of moon and the weather is clear, 80+m spotting is not unlikely, considering they most likely have their eyes adjusted to the night.

The moon most definitely has an effect in-game on spotting, and the game even has accurate moon phases and position in the sky for each date. If there is a lot of moon and the weather is clear, 80+m spotting is not unlikely, considering they most likely have their eyes adjusted to the night.

Exactly, with regard to the moon cycles. I'm starting to think maybe that is it....within my playtesting...... Now, if no moon...and 100 meters in the dark of night (a football field) with guys in camo who are apted at not trying to be seen while moving / manuvering.....I don't know, that seems like a far distance to be spotting a small squad of men. But perhaps giving differing factors....

I do believe the fatigue function is out of whack somewhat within CMSF. Top fit units get tierd to quickly.

snip...with guys in camo who are apted at not trying to be seen while moving / manuvering.....snip

If it's open ground (practically everything is in CMSF) and they are moving, the only real factor should be how fast they are moving. There isn't really any training that makes you more invisible :D.

If it's open ground (practically everything is in CMSF) and they are moving, the only real factor should be how fast they are moving. There isn't really any training that makes you more invisible :D.

True true.

Direction of movement (sideways or direct) is vital factor but i guess it's not-very-vital factor for CMSF to take into account. For it's scope.