165th IR, June 1945

A friend of mine found this currency (maybe the pacific version of the French money given to GI's on D-Day? Victory Dollars, IIRC?) mixed in with a rent payment of US cash. Near as I can tell, the written text reads: "2nd Platoon, J Co., 165th, 27th Div. Okinawa Ryukyu Islands 11 June 1945" followed by signatures, assumed to be the men of 2nd platoon. Most of those are pretty tough to make out, the one I can see completely is John J. Walsh. Thats all my friend could see too, looking at it in person. I am trying to get a better picture from him, and a look in person myself.

I wonder if anyone has any information about this unit? Google searching, I found very little about the 165th, which seems to be the wartime designation of the 69th New York Regiment, and didn't see a "J" company mentioned anywhere. In fact a website about another regiment said "J" was not used to letter their companies, I'm not sure if that applies force-wide. If so maybe this is just a fake.

I think he'd like to deliver this to one of those signatures if they're still alive, or maybe their family, or sell the thing on E-Bay.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=538&d=1280340937

post-26909-141867621811_thumb.jpg

J was not generally used as a compnay designator. I'm not sure why unless it was avoid confusion with I. But you never know what this might refer to in the context of the men who signed the note. It may have been a joke between themselves or perhaps a temporary designator of a scratch formation.

There is a NY military museum and research project, so that would be the best place for your friend to start. A bigger scan would help too!