About to finally dip my toe in the pool....

Phantom Captian,

Welcome to the new CM :D

Definitely stick with WeGo, at least for now. People tend to find an immediate draw towards one or the other, but over time can either shift to the other or flip back and forth. As was said above, each system has its pros and cons, which tend to be quite specific to an individual and therefore generalizing which is better or worse is really too subjective to matter much.

Having said that, I think nearly everybody agrees that the bigger the battles the more RT starts to have problems. I also think most people agree that smaller battles tend to have fewer cons for RT and fewer pros for WeGo. But again, it's all about personal tastes. Some people never play RT, some never play WeGo. Best thing is nobody is forced to play one way or the other.

Some quick answers (I'm at work too ;))

HQs are kept in communication mostly through high tech stuff if you are Blue, so distance rarely matters. For Red it becomes a lot more "twitchy" because they have more basic equipment. That's the perfect world situation going into the battle. Casualties can really mess with that.

The communications network between your units, through their Leaders and HQs, is how the whole Relative Spotting system works. The better your C2, the better your Situational Awareness, the more enemy you see from a greater variety of vantage points. It is very common for new gamers to not really understand what C2 is or how Relative Spotting affects the game. But play for a while, get some critical C2 breaks, and you'll start to see what it does. Even more so if you're playing as Red because breaks are easier to come by.

The Commands are broken up into four categories. You can have a single Combat and/or a single Special Commands assigned to any Movement waypoint. Administrative Commands are basically limited to breaking a unit up, so you generally want to do that on its own.

Steve

Can I order different targets from different waypoints and if so, how? That is if I have a three point waypoint, like hunt, move, hunt, can I change the targeting line from the seperate three points? It seems people say you can but I haven't figured it out yet.moment. I was turning this all over in my head on my drive to work this morning. :)

here, read this it should help you thrue about that :)

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=82036

That's right, you can still issue orders while the game is paused in RT. You have no replay in RT which means you often find one of your units knocked out or killed without knowing what happend and you miss some cool moments. RT does, however, give you greater fidelity with orders. You can take better advantage of suppressive fire and smoke, for example, by ordering your units to move at exactly the right time.

Man, just awesome!

I'm going to be purchasing the Shock Force/Marine bundle when I get home this evening!! Woo!!

I think I'm definitely getting there and getting the hang of it. Played going into town last night on Veteran and won losing only 2 KIA, 5 WIA and 1 Stryker that was taken out by an ATGM. Killed a whole bunch of them!

The artillery is just....WOW. Hit the main compound with 2 fire missions from those 120mm tubes. Damn! That's effective!

Started the smashing steel scenario too but didn't finish it. Night, yeesh! How do you do it?? I thought the night vision would kick in for me and show me everything in IR!! LOL. Well at least my men have it. Walked right into an ambush in the orchard too. Not fun. M1 Abrams though, yummy. I think I'm exposing myself too much and giving too much away before I need to. I'm still thinking CM terms and trying to get units in position to bring the most amount of firepower on an enemy possible even though it's not always possible now because of relative spotting. Secondary explosions from the burning vehicles blew my mind. One blew about two minutes after being hit and flattened the section of wall it was by. That was just too cool.

I'm still stuck in WWII tactics mode. Need to do some more "unlearning". :) I seriously need to bone up on modern warfare and it's hows and whys.

I have to say I LOVE the relative spotting! Finally!!

I haven't played the Marine demo yet either except for about 3 turns. I'm trying to save that one as I know I'm gonna love their firepower. 13 man rifle squads oh yeah!

OH and I figured out giving targeting and facing orders etc by waypoint!! Thanks!! What an awesome feature that is!!

Another question though, and this because of someones previous post, am I to understand correctly that giving a target order from a waypoint while in the orders phase will actually give me the relative line of sight from that point?

am I to understand correctly that giving a target order from a waypoint while in the orders phase will actually give me the relative line of sight from that point?

You're correct.

I thought the night vision would kick in for me and show me everything in IR!!

I think I saw a mod that did that. Since you're going to buy the game I would suggest checking out some of the mods. The colored unit and equipment portraits are great. There's also some good mods for sound, smoke, fire and tracer effects.