Pzkw IVH or J vs. T-34/85

So I have a Pzkw IVH which has a straigh shot down a street, ... it plinks the first one or two T-34's that nudge into the street (one after another but not all at once)... but then it usually gets tagged after that. But in general are there any good tactics in using Pzkw IVH or Js vs. T-34/85s ? (not just in the above but in other conditions - what tactics were actually used in real life to maintain the kill ratios it had).

Conan

Best to use them as StuGs, positioned in Ambush locations (as in your example) with keyhole LOS to select parts of the map.

The reasons being the 50mm turret front - woefully inadequate in '42, let alone by the time the T34/85 showed up - and with the J model the electrical turret traverse (as opposed to hydraulics on the H and earlier models), which accounts for a slower traverse speed.

Ahh...The PZIVH/J is one of my fav late war tanks.

I would just use standard Shoot & Scoot tactics as your best bet, a better crew quality also helps ( thou by the time the T34/85 comes along half the german crews are green ).

Try to remember ( as most players do ) to use your other units on the battlefield to spot as it helps you make better decisions.

Overall, I still dont expect more then a 2:1 Kill ratio against a similar armed unit. However, against a T34/76 I would double that.

Keep in mind that this is for a fluid battlefield condition ( meeting engagement ), or if you are on defense.

So I have a Pzkw IVH which has a straigh shot down a street, ... it plinks the first one or two T-34's that nudge into the street (one after another but not all at once)... but then it usually gets tagged after that. But in general are there any good tactics in using Pzkw IVH or Js vs. T-34/85s ? (not just in the above but in other conditions - what tactics were actually used in real life to maintain the kill ratios it had).

Conan

Sounds like you're hanging around just a little toooo long. Once you've nailed the first two, you've used up that firing position, unless you can distract them, when it might be survivable to return to it. But, juicy a position as it may be, you need to bug out before the return fire bites, and go elsewhere to look for targets. Covered routes for withdrawal are your friend.

• 3 weeks later...