Infantry formations?

When I'm playing with the huge Marine infantry squads... they all just kinda clump together when running... I'm guessing this isn't what happens in reality. Would it be possible to have some kind of point formation or wedge or something (maybe we could assign it!).

I don't consider it cheating to pause frequently to reassess and issue orders during RT play, considering much of what squad leaders and vehicle commanders would do in real life is up to the player to do everywhere around the battlefield with a company-sized unit in CMSF.

I'm a wego player so I don't have that problem....infact wego is what makes the game for me. If it was purely realtime I wouldn't even own it.

Not sure what you mean...BFC want micromanagement or not?

Ya I like WEGO much better too... but I'm just saying... it doesn't make sense to ignore key micro issues like this since BFC seems to be pushing RT (note that they didn't even consider WEGO TCPIP a priority). In WEGO I can take as long as I want to have a nice, orderly infantry advance. In RT, it's either a micro nightmare, or just a "send the huge blob to attack the city" affair, especially with the ginormous Marine formations... they stay so close one grenade/RPG/whatever kills half the squad.

Ya I like WEGO much better too... but I'm just saying... it doesn't make sense to ignore key micro issues like this since BFC seems to be pushing RT (note that they didn't even consider WEGO TCPIP a priority). In WEGO I can take as long as I want to have a nice, orderly infantry advance. In RT, it's either a micro nightmare, or just a "send the huge blob to attack the city" affair, especially with the ginormous Marine formations... they stay so close one grenade/RPG/whatever kills half the squad.

i think it may be a little unfair to suggest that RT is been pushed and WEGO is the ginger step son of the game - im sure this arguement raged on here when CMSF first came out, and im unaware of the demographic split between wego-ers and RT-ers, but like Wodin without it im not a player as, i think would many more - its what makes CM so special - well, to me anyway

This really boils down to preferred playstyle. But there are distinct advantages to both modes of play. I prefer RT mostly because it yields the best results compared to TB(Turn-Based). It's huge tactically having control of your units for every second of the battle, compared to TBs every minute.

The number one problem with RT is that in bigger battles, a lot of things can get missed. Which is where TB shines, you don't miss anything. But a keen eye and ear can help reduce this effect. As I've said before and I'll say again, if BF can implement some kind of rewind feature of 30-60 seconds for RT(for viewing only), it makes TB obsolete IMO. (not including PBEM of course)

P.S. I've been playing CMx1s TB games for almost a decade now. So I naturally stayed with it for CMSF, but eventually discovered the benefits of RT outweigh that of TB.

I do understand the way the game is it is hard at times with the WEGO system especially timing....however being able to replay the last minute and assess the whole battlefield in detail I find invaluable. Like I said before if the game didn't have a WEGO option I'd never have bought it. It's all a personal preferance.

I just don't see how anyone can have any level of control of a battle with a force bigger than a company in RT. Even a company is pushing it. I'd only really feel comfortable with a platoon sized force.

It's a shame to see the series going in this direction. I miss the epic 5000 point battles of CMBB. Hope to see their return in CM:N.

I'm sure WEGO will always be an option (I hope so anyway). It's a shame that the game mechanics changed with regards to WEGO from CMx1 but it is still working well enough.

I was very pleased to see the blue bar come back! So there have been chnages to the WEGO side of things since it's initial release.

I just don't see how anyone can have any level of control of a battle with a force bigger than a company in RT. Even a company is pushing it. I'd only really feel comfortable with a platoon sized force.

How much have you tried playing in RT? It just takes time and practice. A company + support isn't that bad at all, besides it's not too often your forces are bigger.

Not sure what you mean by "level of control", in RT you have constant control. You can pause the game any second and issue new orders or cancel a blunder before it gets any worse. But like I said, the biggest drawback is missing something that happens.