Bunkers and Cliffs issues

Am enjoying UK Mud Marines scenario, but despite having engineers and inf with LASM's to the rear of bunkers, I can't figure out how to destroy them (without Javelins).

Also, was frustrated that the system indicated that infantry could move up and across the steep slope/cliffs on the RHS of the map, but when ordered to do so, they ran around the front to use the slope (and got cut to pieces natch). How come the cursor doesn't change to "impassable" when moving it across this terrain?

It's been awhile for me; have you tried using engineers with a BLAST command into the bunker?

Keep some savegames; if there's an issue with programming (I'm NOT saying there is), the savegames are very important for the troubleshooters.

Please let us know what happens...

Ken

From what i've read you don't need to blast with the engineers, just get them very close to the bunker and they should use them automatically, they might need to have run out of grenades first though.

As for the cliffs issue, the cursor should not allow you to click on cliff terrain, it doesn't for me anyway, however if you have your units at the base of the cliff, and click at the flat ground at the top of the cliff the line will go straight through the cliff, but the AI pathfinding will kick in and move the troops along the passable terrain. Much like if you were to give a vehicle movement order through a building the AI will move the vehicle around the building.

Re any cliffs that may be impassable, I always run the cursor all over the place to check re mobility.

In this case (UK Mud Marines RHS entrenched objective on hill), at NO time did the cursor indicate that my inf would have a problem moving up the steep slope. But, when ordered to assault, they all ran around the side of the hill to use the obvious easy slope - which of course got them decimated. I note that there is a bunker guarding the enemy left flank (right UK flank), would would be entirely useless if the slope in that area was supposed to be impassable. So, it's as if the designed expected one to be able to attempt to attack up the slope there.

Are you saying that this could be a bug? Would be very surprised that no one else has noticed.

Similarly with the bunkers on that hill... I was able to kill the bunker on the far right UK flank (the one mentioned above facing the "water") by massive frontal inf fire.

However, once I had gained the hill and moved to the side and rear of the other two bunkers, I found that the bunkers can be KO'd, but enemy crews inside can still be alive(!) Can the bunkers be KO'd AND the enemy troops inside killed by attacking from the side or rear? Or, does one have to shoot em from the front with rockets, grenades etc? Am sure that I was NOT able to use the BLAST command on any bunkers. I guess they are not "buildings or walls" per CMSF system.

(And yes, I know that Javelins will kill em easily, but in this case it's too close range for the Javelins to work.)

Mud marines is a great scenario, so I was hoping that many other players have already experienced and solved these issues...

Regarding the cliffs it could be a pathfinding issue, have you tried putting multiple waypoints straight up the cliff? Actually i've just realised, i might be getting confused, i think the cursor only becomes unclickable for vehicles, i had a similar issue once with british inf.

"i think the cursor only becomes unclickable for vehicles"

You're saying that inf can plot moves anywhere, even if impossible? It's almost like I need to ask in tech support, altho' it's not quite that...

Re KO-ing the bunkers, I experimented with moving lots of inf in front the of the bunker and firing point blank. That caused a few casualties in the bunkers, but horrible friendly losses. So, that isn't the solution. Other than trying to find a range to use Javelins on the bunkers, they seem almost indestructible. Grenades and squad rockets don't seem to be powerful to have effect.

Re any cliffs that may be impassable, I always run the cursor all over the place to check re mobility.

In this case (UK Mud Marines RHS entrenched objective on hill), at NO time did the cursor indicate that my inf would have a problem moving up the steep slope. But, when ordered to assault, they all ran around the side of the hill to use the obvious easy slope - which of course got them decimated. I note that there is a bunker guarding the enemy left flank (right UK flank), would would be entirely useless if the slope in that area was supposed to be impassable. So, it's as if the designed expected one to be able to attempt to attack up the slope there.

Are you saying that this could be a bug? Would be very surprised that no one else has noticed.

What may be happening is that the top of the cliff is one action spot -which you can move to- and the bottom of the cliff is another -which you can also move to. The cliff is a sharp elevation change between the two squares. The game doesn't prevent you selecting these squares but the elevation between them can't be traversed. I noticed this just the other day actually. The cursor only shows impassable if a whole square is at too steep an angle. It's a UI bug I guess.

Agreed. Other than looking at the slope with experience, the only objective way I can find to determine impassibility is when a waypoint at the bottom and a waypoint at the top of the slope seem unusually far apart - and it is impossible to place a waypoint anyplace between them.

Engineer 'blast' on bunkers used to not work. I'm losing track of what happened in what patch but I think the last patch that finally got fixed. Engineers are now willing to use their sachel charges... I think. I've got to admit I haven't had much opportunity to try it out.