Weapon sounds are intermittent, or do not play at all

For some reason, whenever there is a firefight in CMSF on my PC, I get to hear about 25% of the weapon's sounds that I should.

For example, a stryker fires its grenade launcher at maximum ROF. For the first 2 seconds, I hear every shot fired, but then as the stryker continues to fire, it goes silent. Occasionally a sound will be played, but for the most part, I don't get to hear anything.

The same is true of all units, vehicles and infantry alike. I even tried downloading a community sound pack to see if it would help, and while it sounded different, the sounds were just as intermittent.

I remember when I had this problem in other games (although not on the same computer), some games had a "number of sound channels" setting. If I changed the channels from 64 down to 32, the problem would be fixed. Is there any way to do this in CMSF?

Moeburn, first check to make sure your speakers/headphones are correctly plugged in (hardware), properly configured (software) and that your sound settings in windows reflects what you actually have (i.e. haedphones, speakers). If there is a mismatch, you could wind up with certain sounds not being heard. CMSF plays differently whether you have plain headphones or 4.1/5.1 speakers/headphones. At first glance, it sounds like your problem.

Moeburn, first check to make sure your speakers/headphones are correctly plugged in (hardware), properly configured (software) and that your sound settings in windows reflects what you actually have (i.e. haedphones, speakers). If there is a mismatch, you could wind up with certain sounds not being heard. CMSF plays differently whether you have plain headphones or 4.1/5.1 speakers/headphones. At first glance, it sounds like your problem.

The speakers are plugged in fine, I don't get this problem anywhere other than CMSF. I have two very large speakers plugged into an amplifier, which is receiving from my motherboard's built-in soundcard, because for some reason my Soundblaster Audigy won't work on Windows 7.

The only option I have in windows for my speaker setup is 'stereo', so I just left it at that.

Thanks for your reply!

What sound chip/codec do you have on your motherboard ? Do you have anything else running in the background while you play CMSF ? What mode do you typically play CMSF in, turn-based or real-time ?

There are no audio controls within CMSF. It just takes what Windows offers it, though it is capable of 3D (positional) sound. The number of 'voices/channels' is strictly controlled by the driver and whatever control panel applets it has.

edit - Looks like you found your solution. I assume this should address the problem.

Nevermind, I think I may have found the answer to my problem. I was using the 1.10 patch, and guess what the 1.11 patch includes:

"Fixed a bug that caused some newer sound cards not to use enough sound channels. "

The CMSF game is currently patched to 1.20...even if you do not own any modules.