I was just wondering... (platic models)

Greetings!

First excuse me if I'm out of topic.

I was just wondering how many people here, in our beloved forum of WWII grognards, are doing plastic modeling of WWII tanks, planes, etc.

I'm ready to bet that I am not the only one...

If yes, what do you model usually? How do you enjoy this hobby?

I have a collection of Factory Assembled - Painted Dragon & FoV 1/32 & 1/72 scale Armor, 1/72 & 1/100 Aircraft, 1/700 & Ships.

I also have a Table-Top Gaming collection of 1/285 Micro-Armor, along with 15mm WWII & ACW. Might still get some 25mm WWII for Skirmish gaming ( Squad & Platoon ).

Joe

I think quite a few of us used to build models, but it's been a while since we did so. In my youth I built dozens and dozens of plane models, mostly WW II, but also plenty of post-WW II jets. I also built a fair number of ships, racing cars, and some armor. I also built at least one artillery piece. But the last I did was almost 30 years ago I painted some micro-armor.

Michael

I´ve been working on a Panther A Normandy diorama for three years to and from, it seems time is never sufficient for completing it! (planting more than two hundreds tussocks of grass could be considered either absolute zen meditation or a doubtful way of wasting time in the midst of life)

But when I´m at it I do enjoy it very much. I find that CM invigorates interest in building models of the machines and vice versa. And, as a matter of fact, the tank mods I´ve done has always been inspired by what I usually do with their plastic counterparts.

Not until now ;)

This is actually the first one I did since I was a kid. So don´t be too harsh - all you serious modellers! It was my trying and testing kit. Anyway, there is a considerable error with this project. Can anyone spot it?

Incomplete install on the grass mod. Try manually installing the *.bmp's.

I see that I'm not the only one interested in the field ;-)

@ Gurra: you're right: static grass spreading can be a real zen activity. I watched your pics, and I have to admit my ignorance: I was not able to find the mistake. But I have to admit that I have not even the 10% of the knowledge about armor of the average grognard here.

I agree with you: invigorates interest in building models of the machines and vice versa.

I build only models from WWII, for the same reason that I enjoy CM1 and not too much Shock Force: WWII is a "far away" war (but still "modern") and it is in no way connected with actual conflicts... I don't feel comfortable when I have to deal with things "too real" if related with war.

I build and planes and tanks: the plane in 1/72 and 1/48 scale, the tanks in 1/35.

I like very much to build the very cheap Airfix kits that I builded when I was a kid, trying to replicate them with a little bit more skill.

Here a couple of my model: a 1/72 PBY Catalina, from an Academy Kit. And -a little bit out of theme, because from WWI, a MK IV Male tank, from a Russian kit Ehmar. Nothing special... I build my models just to spend in a relaxing way some time, not for competitions ;-)

I just finished a T34 but I still have to shoot some pics at it... I will try to post them later.

Thanks to all for the answers

post-17982-141867621783_thumb.jpg

post-17982-141867621784_thumb.jpg

Incomplete install on the grass mod. Try manually installing the *.bmp's.

Ahh, I was using CMMOS, there was a problem with the fillelist:D

Missing the pair of front road wheels to compensate for the heavier L/70 barrel :-)

Good one. I didn´t actually have a clue about it.Perhaps I should have written sizeable error. The Jagdpanzer is actually in 1/32 scale whereas the crew is standard 1/35. So the vehicle is way too large. Something like half a meter in height in reality.

I build only models from WWII, for the same reason that I enjoy CM1 and not too much Shock Force: WWII is a "far away" war (but still "modern") and it is in no way connected with actual conflicts... I don't feel comfortable when I have to deal with things "too real" if related with war.

Spot on.

Looking forward to see your T-34. I might post something on my Panther when I have replaced my smashed digital camera :o