This kid must have been bitten by a radioactive bicycle when he was young or sumfink.

My initial reaction is that you can sure tell that its a free health service ..., and I wonder if they edit out the bad bits , and if having a bike land heavily on a flat roof might be harmful to its fabric. Other than that I think this falls into the category of who can eat the fastest/mostest etc. Essentially useless but potentially dangerous. Particularly to those who try to emulate for "fame".

: )

One things for sure, he didn't get those skills sat in front of a tv playing on his console...

Looks like the product of hours and hours of extremely physical, painful hard work to me. I can't even fathom of the level of practice required to obtain the control he has over his machine...

Looks like the product of hours and hours of extremely physical, painful hard work to me. I can't even fathom of the level of practice required to obtain the control he has over his machine...

And I find it difficult to fathom why somebody would work that hard just to abuse a poor innocent bicycle. Oh well, takes all kinds I suppose...

Michael

: )

I also think of athletes taking steroids/drugs for that shorter life and fame. AND all the ones who take them and still do not have the fame and money.

Of boxers who brains are turned to mush. Who don't get the big money.

Basically I look at the glory and then at the process and failures that must occur. Rather like acting with an 85% "resting" at any one time a subject much missed in the adulation over the stars.

Does this make me a bad person that I have to analyse everything in a variety of ways before deciding whether to be impressed or not.

In this particular video the lack of warnings as to downsides and the arena he is playing in make me feel that it is all the glamour without any reality is a dangerous lead to less gifted/sensible/lucky people.

Very paternalistic of me but then I suppose as I get older and see more and more stupidity you tend to feel that way. Incidentally stupidity is not restricted to any class you can look at the City/Wall Street and Parliament/Government where it is married with cupidity for greater effect.

... He probably maintains them better than most people do. (If he didn't, many of his tricks wouldn't work.) ...

Yep, that bike is fairly heavily modified, and given his ability to jockey back and forth to maintain balance on the rear wheel I'd bet that that chain is tighter than a Scotsman on payday.

Also the bike is clean, shiny, and - apparently - undamaged. Given what he's been doing to it, that must represent a reasonable amount of maintenance evey day.

You know, I really struggle to find what's not to like about this kid and his attitude. He is dedicated, has practiced until he can perform at an extremely high - world class - level, looks after his kit, isn't obviously damaging anything (except occasionally his bike and perhaps himself), and created a video that makes the spirit of most people soar when they see it.

Yay him.

Who cares about the bikes? Seriously?

He also seems like a nice guy:

"I am not going to cancel the smaller events which I am booked to do in favour of the big stuff. Having a prime-time American TV show wanting me to perform is just wild, but because my biking is going to be exposed to so many people I want it to be exposed in the right light. I am not going to degrade what I am doing and act like a clown.

I am not too fussed about making money. I just want to ride my bike every day and see a bit more of the world."

And who is the Norwegian?

BTW that bike was offered up for auction last November. Trial biking actually goes back a long way in the UK and probably grew from Army despatch riders needing to cross-country.

And I like your proviso regarding "obviously damaging anything" - I have some experience of flat roofs and they are actually quite delicate little structures and not cheap to repair ... once you realise they have been damaged.

Sure I like the way he has mastered something and has pride in what he does. Using someone elses property for your tricks and potentially giving them serious grief and cost a few months down the line I cannot find good.

And who is the Norwegian?

BTW that bike was offered up for auction last November. Trial biking actually goes back a long way in the UK and probably grew from Army despatch riders needing to cross-country.

And I like your proviso regarding "obviously damaging anything" - I have some experience of flat roofs and they are actually quite delicate little structures and not cheap to repair ... once you realise they have been damaged.

Sure I like the way he has mastered something and has pride in what he does. Using someone elses property for your tricks and potentially giving them serious grief and cost a few months down the line I cannot find good.

I think it looks pretty obvious that he had permission to do that. Did you not notice him put back the guard rail they'd moved later in the clip?

Tutting doom-mongers like yourself suck all the fun out of life. For God's sake - there's more important things than money. Like inspiration, and wonder and being bloody young and invincible.

diesel - I find your inconsistancy worrying. You aver that there are too many stupid people on this earth, but you also want them to be adequately informed of their stupidity and its consequences, thereby saving them from the performance of a vital public service, to whit: removing themselves from the gene pool. Doesn't add up, man.

Actually, neither does trying to educate stupid people.

I agree that I do have a big quandary as fully supporting the principles of the Darwin Award. However if I can finesse it slightly by saying that cleaning up the gene pool should be as unobtrusive and clean as possible leaving as little mark upon the earth.

It's simple. You invite them to a party and give them a drink with a mickey in it. When they lose consciousness, you shoot them full of something lethal and in a few seconds they are ready for the crematorium.

Bottoms up!

:D

Michael

Really? Did you see the name of the shops?

He climbs onto MacDonalds Cycles, takes a run-up from BSM to MacDonald Cycles inclusive, takes off from the rather solid looking stone roof above the cycle shop and lands on the (edge of the) less imposing roof of CopyStop print shop.

I reckon neither of you know for sure whether he had permission from all shops involved, but can make a reasonable guess that not all heroes who attempt to copy this particular death-defying stunt will be 100% rigorous in obtaining permission. Or, for that matter, 100% successful.

Haha man you can tell that there's a lot of old geezers on this forum from all the bitchin. Reminds me of something a stand up comic said (think it was Bill Maher)... "longevity and health is not the highest goal in life. Sometimes fun'll cost ya." Besides, he's clearly gotten to the point where it's not any more dangerous for him than driving down the street in his car is.

Guy's got awesome skills, probably been on a bike since he was 4 or something and practicing like a nut every day since. His balance is incredible as well as his ability to land on incredibly small/skinny objects.

It's basically the bicycling version of parkour. Awesome. Hope he gets a huge career + sponsorship in BMX/xtreme sports or something similar. He's probably getting laid quite a lot off it too hehe.

I doubt it's just "heavily edited". I'm sure he fell and hurt himself constantly over the years practicing, but it *is* possible to get that good at something.

Watch some parkour, it's equally amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jquXcwooV6A