1st campaign mission doesn´t end

OK, I killed every enemy I could find with minimal losses, I have total control of the terrain, I repulsed the counterattack, but for some reason the mission does not end. What am I supposed to do?

Seems like I wasted a sunday...:mad:

Have you 'occupied' the markers on the map? These act as triggers, or at least something on the map acts as a trigger once you roll over it. I've got exactly the same problem in mission 2 however, but my difference is I cannot activate the 1st marker on the map. I'm guessing there must still be something there preventing it, but buggered if I know!

I crossed the anti-tank ditch at the northern end. Then I rolled up the enemy trench and occupied the village. Next I defended against the counterattack. When the mission didn´t end I started to search and kill any remaining enemy soldiers.

I sent a tank and some snipers to let them cross the ditch again, this time at the southern end- nothing happened.

Maybe there are some survivors with the enemy tanks I destroyed during the counterattack. They got killed so fast, they didn´t even reach the "proper" map. Now I can´t target this area to kill off any stragglers with indirect fire because it is "off map".

I really like the game engine, but I hate being forced to think about having to trigger this, then trigger that...

This is a common problem with all TOW games.

What I do is to form my units into lines and sweep the map looking for that last enemy soldier that needs to be eliminated.

Not very real but the only work around I have found that leads eventually to the game ending.

Cheers

Alan

This is a common problem with all TOW games.

What I do is to form my units into lines and sweep the map looking for that last enemy soldier that needs to be eliminated.

Not very real but the only work around I have found that leads eventually to the game ending.

Cheers

Alan

I do the same. It is a shame that the game gets hung up when the enemy is not putting up any resistance.

It would be nice to have a button where you could remove the fog of war in the single player campaign once you were in a position where the last unit is somewhere hidden.

Alan123: Your idea sounds even better.

It would seem that it would not be outside of the realm of possibility to have something like this patched. It is not a game killer but just annoying.

Some kind of modification of victory condition such as what has been mentioned or even a proximity trigger on offensive missions.

Hopefully someone from Battlefront or IC might have a suitable suggestion which could be implimented in a patch to resolve this issue.

For what it's worth, I had this problem in the German mission in the demo. Even when I finally beat the scenario (cleared the map of all Soviets), the scenario did not end. I demolished the building at point 2 with tank fire and then walked through the rubble with infantry, but the game just kept going. Perhaps I needed to capture the building intact?

OTOH, the scenario did end correctly in those cases where my force was mostly wiped out. And the Soviet scenario ended in a victory for me on my first try, when I did not know what I was doing and my positions were being overrun by German tanks.

I think in the mission briefing things like this as a victory condition should be made very very clear otherwise post like these will never go away and it damages the games reputation.

We want the game to have a good reputation so that it is more widely played.

On a similar subject I have just finished playing the USA campaign in the Africa game. The last 2 missions were very frustrating as it was not made clear that you must stop every single enemy unit from exiting the map and exactly where the exit point was.

Cheers

Alan

I walked my infantry (scout Teams and snipers) all over the Map.

For a game which is about tactics I ask myself why someone would want to tell

me which forces to use for a given task. In germany we dont do things this way! You are given the objective and it is up to you to decide how to best accomplish your mission. This is by the way exactly german forces functioned during the second world war. (And think about the thunder run in Baghdad, would this have met TOWs victory conditions?)

Could it be that this approach is not compatible with the "human wave" attitude of russian scenario designers? No insult meant, but after having played all TOW games I find mission design to be the weakest part of the series.

How often did I position my units with interlocking fields of fire on the flanks only to have the enemy spawn right behind or right on my units? Those responsible seem not to have even the most basic understanding of "real world tactics.

Sorry but I really find this annoying because with a little care taken TOW could be the best game of its kind.

I had the same problem and I have found what is the cause - when you kill every enemy soldier before occupying the village by infantry, than the mission will not end.

It is because the scripted event that "enemy is withdrawing" does not occur after you repel the counterattack.

It's funny, because to win you must leave at least one enemy soldier alive :)

P.S. I have a save with 1 enemy soldier left alive if developers want to reproduce it...

I walked my infantry (scout Teams and snipers) all over the Map.

For a game which is about tactics I ask myself why someone would want to tell

me which forces to use for a given task. In germany we dont do things this way! You are given the objective and it is up to you to decide how to best accomplish your mission. This is by the way exactly german forces functioned during the second world war. (And think about the thunder run in Baghdad, would this have met TOWs victory conditions?)

Your objective is to secure the village. You can attack it in any way you see fit, but i doubt that your superiors would consider it secured if there are not even a single German soldier inside, only tanks on the street. Again, you are not forced to attack with infantry, you may use it later just to occupy the village.

From the weight of evidence from the game players the game makers need to either make the victory conditions clearer or change them.

There is a problem here that cannot be explained away with excuses.

This forum is a free customer feedback programme for your company, use it, learn from it and make your games the best they can be.

Alan

Your objective is to secure the village. You can attack it in any way you see fit, but i doubt that your superiors would consider it secured if there are not even a single German soldier inside, only tanks on the street. Again, you are not forced to attack with infantry, you may use it later just to occupy the village.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough: I occupied the village with infantry (snipers and several scout teams count as infantry for me) but only after having cleared the trenches with a combination of tanks and artillery to avoid any unnecessary losses.

Of course I eventually also occupied the trenches with infantry.

What I found strange though was that contrary to earlier attempts the"sturmovik" attack did not take place.

If you need proof I have the savegame available...

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough: I occupied the village with infantry (snipers and several scout teams count as infantry for me) but only after having cleared the trenches with a combination of tanks and artillery to avoid any unnecessary losses.

Of course I eventually also occupied the trenches with infantry.

What I found strange though was that contrary to earlier attempts the"sturmovik" attack did not take place.

If you need proof I have the savegame available...

Please send the save where the mission doesn't end to dina@1c.ru

If you have the previous saves from this mission (that won't end), this will also help.

Well...I just finished to play German mission1...I got a Pyrrhic victory, but the game finished with all remaining Russian units fleeing fom village...no problem...I dodn't bother to clean the village...they simply fled away

TOW2 Kursk unpatched