Unplayable due to low fps..

Please post your system specs...processor, RAM, video card with onboard RAM, operating system, etc. It might help us figure out what is going on. And you are talking about the CAMPAIGN, correct? Not the mission generator. The framerate problems don't seem to happen in the mission generator. That has it's own set of problems. ;)

HP Pavilion dv7-1020

CPU Intel Core Duo P7350@2,00Ghz

RAM 4Gb SODIMM DDR-2 800 MHz (2 slots)

NVDIA GeForce 9600GT 512 Mb up to 1700Mb shared

Display 1440x900 60Hz

OS Vista 32b

German Campaign up to Mission 3

Please verify on your computer oif there are operating other programs...before I start TOW my CPU is some 4% busy

HP Pavilion dv7-1020

CPU Intel Core Duo P7350@2,00Ghz

RAM 4Gb SODIMM DDR-2 800 MHz (2 slots)

NVDIA GeForce 9600GT 512 Mb up to 1700Mb shared

Display 1440x900 60Hz

OS Vista 32b

German Campaign up to Mission 3

Please verify on your computer oif there are operating other programs...before I start TOW my CPU is some 4% busy

Nope. Not background programs running. I use SmartClose and it still doesn't help.

Your system is what I would call an "average" system. Not too weak and not overwhelmingly powerful. I don't get it. Why do "killer" high power systems have problems and relatively normal systems suffer framerate hits? Very odd.

What cpu you using again Deputy? Wonder if its a dual core versus quad core peformance problem - I have seen similar things with other games where they are not optimised for quad core. I've got a quad core and I get the slow downs.

Actually, mine is a dual processor, not dual core CPU...two 3.4 GIG Xeon processors. This is the fastest 7100 series "Tulsa" processor released in August 2006. It has 1 meg of cache per core (2 meg total) and 16 meg of L3 cache. It also has hyperthreading capability. This comp ran Crysis at almost full settings for every option with no stutter or framerate problems.

Nope. Not background programs running. I use SmartClose and it still doesn't help.

Your system is what I would call an "average" system. Not too weak and not overwhelmingly powerful. I don't get it. Why do "killer" high power systems have problems and relatively normal systems suffer framerate hits? Very odd.

nope...at the end of mission 3 the game becomes unplayable...sloppy fps...sorry....it was my hope...you're right

nope...at the end of mission 3 the game becomes unplayable...sloppy fps...sorry....it was my hope...you're right

Drat! I was hoping you were the exception to the rule and we could discover the cure/cause. Sorry to hear that. :(

I'm using a Gateway 2 Quad CPU Q9300 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM 64bit OS Nvidia 8800GT and I'm having no fps problems so far although I've not gotten past the first mission.

I've been mostly dealing with the editors and the mission generator and mostly creating my own small, company sized, combined arms task forces. No roblems running these short 1 mission scenarios.

Will get back to the campaign and try and move thru several missions to see if fps degrades.

I asked Sneaksie in another thread about the new patch and if it will address framerates. Here is his reply, plus replies by me and Knaust1:

Sneaksie: Low framerates reported in first few missions are caused by big amount of units acting simultaneously, some systems fare better than others in such stressful conditions. To improve the framerates, unit count in these missions might be reduced, but this will be obviously undesirable for those who don't have problems. New patch contains further AI delays and algorithms tuning (along with other fixes and new content), which may improve framerates as well, but your mileage may vary.

If you have low framerates in big battles, try turning performance-hungry graphics features first (for example, dithered shadows). If this doesn't help, but your fps go sky-high when you pause the game, it means that the cpu is the bottleneck. I would play such engagement using 0.5 time speed (selected at the top of the screen) until unit count drop.

Reply by Knaust1: well said...but then you have to change system requirements in the game specs

And me to Sneaksie:

I think you will find that most people ARE having problems with framerates. There is a whole thread on it. We have already tried using programs that shut down all unnecessary running programs and lowering the game requirements to bare minimum settings. That hasn't helped. And we didn't pay all this money to see graphics from the 1980s. We are also experiencing crash to desktop and lockups. That would indicate there is a good deal wrong with this sim besides just framerates. Why would the developers not address these problems in this upcoming patch? Do they not read the posts and bug reports posted on here? Does nobody let them know what is going on with this sim?

Most people have solved their framerate problem by NOT PLAYING the campaign AT ALL. That is hardly a viable option. We paid for a full game with all features functioning in it. Knaust1 is correct. If this game is taxing the system MORE than what the system requirements show, and we certainly have a bunch of guys with systems that EXCEED the optimum system requirements, then you are gonna have to change the system requirements to something more advanced than what is advertised. We really don't want any "new content" at this point. We want the present content to work correctly. If this patch is just more add-ons and units, then please delay it and give it back to the developers to fix GAMEPLAY.

The thread is located here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=91662