Windows 7 X64 Locks up after a few minutes of game play

I downloaded the demo and it crashed about 2 minutes into anything I started. Once I started moving around the screen bam it just locked up. Tried every setting I coud without any resolution including updating video drivers for my Nvidia GTX 260 Video card. After a dozen tries I uninstalled it..

I am the admin so saying I should run it in admin mode will be a moot point.

I also tried a compatibility mode run with the same result..

OK has or is anyone got this working or had the demo working in windows 7 x64. I certianly do not want to purchase another Battlefront game and have to wait for fixes right out of the gate. Just like I see there is a patch already within only a few days of its release.. Whats up with that.

Feedback would be appreciated

I am the admin so saying I should run it in admin mode will be a moot point.

Actually, as of Windows Vista, it's not because even if you are running with your main account, you do not automatically have administrator rights. Having said that, this shouldn't be an issue for the demo either way, so it's definitely not related to having or not having admin rights.

Just like I see there is a patch already within only a few days of its release.. Whats up with that.

It's a sign of dedication to the games we publish and develop. We patch games not only to fix bugs but also to add and expand and improve features that are in the game. This specific patch for Kursk for example improves the Computer AI player by a lot.

The game has been tested and works on the 64 bit edition, it is in fact even listed in the "recommended specifications". The problem is most likely something else, like a driver/video card problem for example. You *may* get support here as the devs as well as our own resident tech guru, Ian (Schrullenhaft) are frequenting the forum, but the official place for tech support is www.battlefront.com/helpdesk.

Running a game with "Run as adminstrator" is different than having "Computer Administrator" account privileges in Vista and Windows 7. The 'Administrator' account is unique in Windows Vista and Windows 7 and certain privileges are granted to it that are NOT granted to ANY other account. However, privileges may not be the root of your problem, but I suggest using the 'Run as administrator' setting with most games nowadays.

None of the 'compatibility modes' are necessary to my knowledge.

As for the crashing, I'm not sure what is causing that. Since it occurs when you're moving around the 3D screen, it would seem logical that it may be video oriented. I don't know if you've changed this video setting yet or not, but in the Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings, possibly try changing the 'Threaded optimization' to 'OFF'. While your GTX 260 should be able to run with ALL settings at their highest, you may want to make changes to the options to see if you run into any particular issues ('shadows', 'HDR', etc.). Also its possible that downgrading your driver may be helpful. Sometimes the latest driver is the one that breaks things.

Are you overclocking your system at all (video card, CPU, memory, etc.) ? Some programs may be more 'sensitive' to overclocking than others. This may be especially true with 64-bit software environments.

Here are the changes that are part of the 1.2.4 patch. Generally speaking they're fairly minor bugs, some of which are just changed values to more accurately portray some units and their capabilities.

1.2.4 Changes:

========================

- Recon unit crews (Sdkfz. 222, Sdkfz. 232, BA-64) and scouts now have 50-100 Scouting skill

- Difference in visibility and audibility between silent and firing units increased

- Soldiers shouldn't throw grenades if there are friendlies near the target, running from a grenade is prioritized

- Visibility recaclulation delay decreased

- Unit with 'Hold fire' mode turned on won't engage the enemy on it's own, but will fire at the target assigned manually by you

- A couple of AI errors were found and fixed

- Soldiers with automatic weapons now fire in shorter bursts

- Player soldiers wouldn't constantly man an empty gun in generated scenarios

In addition, the patch contains the user manual in PDF format. Use the shortcut or double-click the file directly to read it.

The game has been in a fairly stable state for awhile now. So these changes were in the works for more than just "one day".

There will undoubtedly be more bugs found. That is just the nature of software development now and complex games like the TOW series have a lot of possibilities for things to "not be right" - and they don't always manifest themselves in every setup or every situation.

I ran the demo under a clean account in my machine and nothing else running to see if it still crashed and it did just as much as my standard account with all the junk.

I can check off the admin run button and give it another go, but in my experiences it has been said but never helped.

I am almost sure it is a video issue I just cant figure out what. I have tried the auto setting as well as custom video settings and its still crashes. It would be easier if the game took less than 5 minutes to laod between crashes and booting into a game.

As far as patches I was one of the first to buy the new TOW game way back when and it crashed on most machines and everyone was pissed. So needless to say I learned my lesson and now wait for patches and read the forum. But I am confused as to why you would need to patch a release only two days out, Sure you are keeping up but to me that sounds like you didnt do the work before the release or your pre release pool is not close to your user base in equipment configurations. I am just saying...

I ran the demo under a clean account in my machine and nothing else running to see if it still crashed and it did just as much as my standard account with all the junk.

I can check off the admin run button and give it another go, but in my experiences it has been said but never helped.

I am almost sure it is a video issue I just cant figure out what. I have tried the auto setting as well as custom video settings and its still crashes. It would be easier if the game took less than 5 minutes to laod between crashes and booting into a game.

As far as patches I was one of the first to buy the new TOW game way back when and it crashed on most machines and everyone was pissed. So needless to say I learned my lesson and now wait for patches and read the forum. But I am confused as to why you would need to patch a release only two days out, Sure you are keeping up but to me that sounds like you didnt do the work before the release or your pre release pool is not close to your user base in equipment configurations. I am just saying...

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x 64 bit, on an HP Pavilion model e9280t Desktop computer with an Intel i7 CPU, 12 GB RAM and a NVidia GeForce GTX 260 video card displaying 1920 x 1080 at 60 hz.

I ran into a number of problems with the demo, and found that not only did I need to install the latest NVidia drivers, but also Microsoft's hotfix KB976972 {apparently there is an issue with computers running more than 4 GB RAM and Windows 7 x64 Bit}.

This resolved most issues except for my antivirus which caused crashes since I had neglected to set it to be aware of full screen applications (games) prior to issuing its annoying popup reminders.

You might find after making the video and O/S updates that you need to uninstall and reinstall the demo in order for the game to play properly.

I have downloaded the full game and at this time it is working great for me (despite the spelling error in the new updater) and my own lousy generalship. Let me know if this works for you.

OK has or is anyone got this working or had the demo working in windows 7 x64. I certianly do not want to purchase another Battlefront game and have to wait for fixes right out of the gate. Just like I see there is a patch already within only a few days of its release.. Whats up with that.

Feedback would be appreciated

I've played it on the same kind of system you have, and in my case it worked like a charm (it was not the demo).

Where did you find a spelling error?

When I originally installed the full version of the game the updater came up and showed no updates available (as expected on Day 1) and I played the first battle of the campaign game. The next day I started the game and the updater found an update. I mistakenly allowed that update to proceed before checking the link to the browser, although it did seem to install correctly. When I checked the browser link I found I was supposed to have updated the updater first. I then did that, and when I tried to start the game, it couldn't find the link to the updater (which is the first step in every game startup). I explored my directories and files to find what had happened, and discovered the updater link connects to a file named "update.exe", while the updater had removed the old file and replaced it with a new file labeled "updater.exe". I renamed this executable to "update.exe' and everything worked fine. Although I will say it took some guessing as to what directory to locate the upgrade to the update process. It turns out that the default (game) directory location was correct, but I almost outsmarted myself when I considered unzipping it into the Updater directory. I hope I am making myself clear...

Yes, we corrected this after a couple of hours.

I'm thinking there may be another issue, possibly just with my install. Last night I played another repeat round of the first engagement in the campaign as the Germans. I got whupped, but advanced to the second engagement. I have the option to "ignore mission fail" deselected so this should not happen, right? Also, even though I played this campaign engagement before and won handily as the German on the default difficulty level, since the upgrade the battles seem very much more one-sided towards the defending Russian forces at this same difficulty level. It's like I'm attacking with a troop of girl-scouts.

I am considering uninstalling the current game and reinstalling the original download, then performing the downloader upgrade and game upgrade in the correct sequence to see if this corrects these issues. Any thoughts/comments?