The game IS fun!

goodwood

I first stumbled into CM at the end 1999, and probably played that first demo more than some games I have spent money on. I have bought every addition to the system since and certainly have got my money's worth. When the original CMSF entered the market a couple years ago I tried the demo and was a fair bit disappointed, especially so when a couple of questions remained unanswered, I didn't with the game until just before Christmas. I read a review on CMSF British Forces and was impressed. So I bought CMSF and the Brit add on, d/l ver 1.21 and the rest is history.

I suppose it's fair to say, war games people play, whether they are computer, table top or board, there certain elements that excite the senses or imagination. I guess after this long winded post the 2 things that grab my imagination in CMSF are javelins and the use of spotters FOOs or Air Tact Observers. CAS and arty rules this game if used properly. The use of Javelins as bunker busters and on other defensive positions can certainly reduce friendly casualties, especially useful in scenarios when bad guys gains points for kills. Do other other players agree with this notion and are there players out there that don't use their javelin air and artillery assets as well as they could? End of ramble :D

Well, by good scenario design the player should be forced to use all available assets. The problem is that Stryker infantry has so many Javelins at their disposal that it is really hard to challenge them.

The same is not true for the Marines and the Brits, where every Javelin is a valuable asset!

Personally, I have a weakness for all things BMP, or Russian vehicles in general. They just have a lot of options with their ATGM and their HE firepower. At the same time they are so fragile ...

Best regards,

Thomm

I pre-ordered the game, and have only played a few times since I received it. Initially, the game was so buggy to be unplayable for me, it is a lot better now of course.

I just got done playing the first mission in the campaign, I had my tanks in a long strung out line engaging the enemy from long range. While micro managing my right flank, a track on the left was knocked out. By what? I have no clue... and dont think its possible to ever find out. I can't learn from a mistake if I dont know wtf happened!

I was playing in real time, since it seems to play better that way. I tried WEGO but everything is too lethal... its not nearly as forgiving as CMx1

Overall, I wish I had an updated CMx1 =(

I really hope Normandy is better, CMx2 is a bust for me so far.

The one that gets you is the one you never see!

You've got to keep your eyes and ears open, just as if you were on the battlefield. That is really a major part of the strategy. Not only do you have to look out for the enemy you can see, but also any place they might be. That's your lesson right there. The first campaign mission lets you use maximum firepower (hint hint: shoot the place up from the best possible positions you can) to easily win.

Either way, you will be happier with the ww2 game.

The game works much better with the latest patches and the combined Marines and British modules. Maximum possible force selection options and most obvious bugs appear to be ironed out. However, I would like to be aboe to exit vehicles from the battle area particularly for convoy tyow actions.

A replay function would be nice if that is technically possible although I suspect it will not be given the hard coding. As a commander you would not know what was going on on the other floank unless you got on the radio and asked for a report. In game terms what you should do is zoom out and examine the whole situation from time to time rather than zooming into squad level and watching the fun form their perspective. The latter is not really what a battlegroup commander should be doing.

The use of Javelins as bunker busters and on other defensive positions can certainly reduce friendly casualties, especially useful in scenarios when bad guys gains points for kills. Do other other players agree with this notion and are there players out there that don't use their javelin air and artillery assets as well as they could?

I tried WEGO but everything is too lethal... its not nearly as forgiving as CMx1?

The extreme lethality of weapons in CMSF is not a CMx2 feature per se, but an element of modern combat added specifically to CMSF for the modern theater. I'm pretty sure your Tiger tank in CM:Normandy will be just as tough as its CMx1 predecessor. :)

NCOIC, the Brit & Marine campaigns are a lot better then the stock campaign. For me not knowing what hit my tanks is similarly frustrating but I think it actually forces you to employ better tactics.

I bet all the CMx1 only grogs will be boldly beaten by new CMSF only players during a CM:N PBEM battle.

I have never played CMx1 and CMSF was a big shock for me in terms of tactics. I wasn't a really "war gamer" before and had adopted quite gamey RTS tactics, which totally don't work for CMSF. Of course it is possible you just hate it's guts but for me that seems strange if you like similar games, in my eyes ;).

In our modern times weapons are a lot more lethal and you should adjust for that in your tactics. However I'm sure most of the modern warfare 'haters' would actually enjoy it if they would have the patience to get used to it. It is a wonderful game if you like tactical war simulations.

Regarding the 1st mission: Try to shrug of all incoming tank fire with the front side of your MBT's in hull down position (on the berm there are 4 positions) and finish of enemy tanks and hard positions. Then use the mortars and guns to bombard the trenches with airbust rounds. In the mean time move up the infantry and strykers, covering each other. Use the rest of your arty rounds on the complexes and make sure to bring a few Abrams in support of your infantry. Occupy the complex. You will probably take some casualties but good suppressive fire on the buildings will keep that to a minimum.

Thanks for the help there Lethaface.

I lost an M1 on the berm! In hull down, no less. I was surprised. I imagine it was some form of ATGM that probly got a lucky hit on the lower hull. I bombed the trenches and made my way up the road after leveling most of the compound too. Thats when the real trouble started.

The game began to play very slow, the clock would jump in 3-5s increments. I'm downloading the 1.21 patch as I type this, hopefully that will solve that problem.

I do look forward to leveling the complex again, and NOT losing any M1's this time.

And after thinking about it, and nursing my hurt ego, not knowing what killed the M1 is fine by me... I just miss being able to find out what killed my jumbo sherman after the battle, like CMx1.

Well, post-battle reports would be nice indeed!

IIRC it is said this will feature in CM:N so your wishes were granted before you even stated them :)

On my old pc I sometimes had some troubles in very large scenario's but not this mission. Hope 1.21 fixes it for you. You should install the latest patch since it makes a LOT of difference with previous ones. There are a lot of nice custom scenario's for the base games as well, try 'Armour Attacks' or 'Hammertime' to name a few of my favorites. There are also quite some user campaigns, some offer Red vs Red = slower gameplay.

At the repository you will find a lot more value for your game :)

This complex is a tough one! Don't underestimate the amount of shelling needed to suppress the occupants :)