Box art?

Well if it anything like the UK release we will be lucky to get a case at all. BF has been getting cheaper as the games go on. The game will probably ship in an old tuna can sharpied with the letters CM:N on it.

All major releases in a family get cases and fully printed manuals. Follow-on modules which are not standalone usually only get a jewel case and either a small printed manual "add-on", or no printed manual at all. Since you need the base game to play a "module", there is no need to print the whole thing over and over again. This is one of the main reasons why we can sell the modules at a lower price, too.

I always thought the fact that you need the base game to play a "module" (Moon's quotation marks, BTW) is the main reason why the "modules" can be sold cheaper than the base game ;). Seriously, printing manuals and buying CD cases in bulk are surely marginal budget busters, aren't they? A regular CD case, like the one most games come in these days, costs $ 1.25 at my local store, and my guess is they are cheaper if you buy 5,000 at once...

I said "one of the main reasons" why we can offer it cheaper. If we had to print 100-200 page manuals for the modules, offering them at $25 would be impossible.

CD/DVD cases are the smallest part of the packaging. Printing 100-200 page manuals is where it gets expensive.

Understood.

On the other hand, CMSF Marines Module Manual (.pdf) is 28 pages, Brit Module Manual (.pdf) is 24 pages. Looks like you could save 75-87,5% on printing costs if you just skip the 70 to 170 white pages at the end ;).

Sorry Moon, just pulling your leg a little 'cause I'm in a silly mood today. I get where you are coming from and I'm not trying to argue for printed manuals. Just being a little trite, is all :).

I said "one of the main reasons" why we can offer it cheaper. If we had to print 100-200 page manuals for the modules, offering them at $25 would be impossible.

CD/DVD cases are the smallest part of the packaging. Printing 100-200 page manuals is where it gets expensive.

So then how did you do it with Marines?

We printed the Marines manual because it was comparatively small (32 pages) and we expected (rightly so) that we would be able to print a huge quantity. The more you print the more you can offset the per unit cost.

But the quantity of hardgoods vs. digital downloads decreases with each following module (not surprisingly), making printing more and more costly.

BTW, what people always forget in discussions such as this (or also discussions about shipping & handling) is that all these hardgoods need to be *handled*. They need to be shipped from the printer to our warehouses (including one in Europe!), they need to be assembled, picked and packaged and processed. Each item therefore costs not only printing (and proofing etc.) but other related costs as well. There is simply a threshold where it makes business-sense to offer just the disc through mail.

Martin