Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Particularly Dumb Question

My wife just bought me a new computer for my birthday. :) My son now wants to play a head to head game of CM. What do I need to do to connect both computers to play a game. Each computer is connected to the internet, but that's where I stall :( If the answer is long winded please set me in the right direction for all the needed info.

thanks

Ron

If both PC's share the same router/modem, there is probably a LAN by default so you can probably use a local IP-address to connect. To find out your local IP-address you can start up command prompt and type 'ipconfig' and press enter.

Your address is 'IPv4 address':

Example:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4d5f:ff5:571c:9741%10

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Where 192.168.1.10 is my local IP.

GL

what mods because both computers need to have the same mod set up second your ip. address and port number you will also need

By mods you mean like the files at the repository, right? For example, different camouflage for the M1 and grass instead of sand, right?

Well the good news is that these have absolutely no impact on multiplayer capability. They make purely cosmetic changes to the game set up on an individual's computer, but no difference to the game mechanics.

However, you do have to make sure that the scenario you play is compatible with the CMSF expansion packs that both players have. If computer A has CMSF + Brits and computer B CMSF + Marines then they can only play a scenario that has base game units.

Am I right, or what? :D

My wife just bought me a new computer for my birthday. :) My son now wants to play a head to head game of CM. What do I need to do to connect both computers to play a game. Each computer is connected to the internet, but that's where I stall :( If the answer is long winded please set me in the right direction for all the needed info.

thanks

Ron

Ask your son! :)

Seriously though, CMSF uses a direct IP connection, one computer must HOST and one must JOIN the game.

For LAN connections or direct internet connections, start a battle as usual, but at the game options screen, select under "players" 2 players, internet/LAN. The host computer will then display the local IP address, and say "waiting for connection"

The person joining the game must go to "Join Network game" type in the ip and port and away you go.

If you are behind a router/firewall as most people are these days, it gets more complicated, you would have to sort out the port forwarding on your router. This is usually pretty easy if you have the instruction manual.

If you are behind a router/firewall as most people are these days, it gets more complicated, you would have to sort out the port forwarding on your router. This is usually pretty easy if you have the instruction manual.

Sure but if the two machines are in the same house, its most likely they'll be "behind" the firewall / router as that filters traffic into the house, not within it.

Ron,

If you are still having problems send me a PM and then I'll call you (we are both in the same time zone - albeit you being 50 yrs behind in Vic. :D).

Sure but if the two machines are in the same house, its most likely they'll be "behind" the firewall / router as that filters traffic into the house, not within it.

Ron,

If you are still having problems send me a PM and then I'll call you (we are both in the same time zone - albeit you being 50 yrs behind in Vic. :D).

Thanks Mark, finally got to work, and have played a couple games.

Hoolaman, there no way I'm going to ask my 13yo son how to do something, I'd owe him for the rest computing days :)

You're either at the Armd Centre or once was, that makes you honourary Vic :) We all sorts immigrants down here.

hamachi, is a bit like ICQ I guess, I can't seem to be able to send word docs via this system.

Ron

Ron,

Glad you're up and running. :)

Yes had / have / and no doubt will have some great times at the "Tuscanny of the South". :)

Had some "bad times" down there too (esp. this time last year :(). Hope you weren't in the fires.

Hamachi just generates a different TCP/IP address (to avoid all the bother of port forwarding and NAT on Routers). If you want to send files, you probably better off just using file sharing or attaching them to emails.