Terrorism Alert Level--International Humor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And those names are often just the dead. I was struck by the monument near my wife's home village that has a few dozen names "Mort pour la France". But then I think that there was probably at least 3 times as many wounded. And it's a fishing town. So that's an awful lot of guys who probably couldn't work any more. Hard to work in an Atlantic storm with only one leg. And extrapolating further, hard for a one-legged guy with no hope of a decent job to find a bride....

Imagine the ongoing cost to their society.

Apparently the British had their version of that too. There was a generation of spinsters between the wars because there just weren't enough marriageable men to go around (though I understand some patriotic bigamists tried their best to take up the slack). Employment had to be found for these women in order for them to live, and of course it set back the birth rates of the generation that would have to fight the next war. Having the Great Depression come along about that time didn't help either.

Michael

Ah yes, there we were on the plains of Africa, lions and other vicious beasts all around us and suddenly I began to wonder what would happen if I just knocked these two rocks together, you know, just make some noise that might distract and frighten them. And I noticed something. Flakes were being knocked off of one of the rocks leaving a sharp edge. So, quick as a rabbit I jammed it into the end of a stick and tied it all together with some twisted bark and, voila!, the rest is, as they say, history. I believe there is a bit of port left in that decanter by you, Sergei, if you would be so kind as to pass it over.

Michael

Well you don't need legs to drive a taxi. Just a willingness to express an opinion on just about anything, regardless of whether your passengers give a toss or not. "I'm not a rascist, but...."

Australia still has some taxi drivers that can trace back their origins to the first convict deported there?

Doesn't work that way in New York City, Stocholm or Helsinki. Dunno about more remote parts of this country, within the wilderness or so.